Bream in Geelong?

Everything about bream
Frosty

Bream in Geelong?

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am

Hi All, I am wondering if anyone can would be so kind as to tell me where I might go in the Geelong area to catch myself a bream on soft plastics? :gone:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Bream in Geelong?

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:37 am

you may get them on bait easier than SP. Try Limeburner's lagoon. That is the only place I know in Geelong area that holds a lot of bream. Good luck
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll try limeburners next trip. :Fishing_1:

PatRollo

Post by PatRollo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:03 pm

If you're going to limeburners you'll have to go right up the back to the creek. Hard spot to land a decent bream these days, maybe 5 or more years ago!

Try springs creek down in Torquay (either right up the top or towards the ocean past the bridge)

From experience Anglesea is the best place to head. Up near the pony club in the morning or evening! Best bring a bag of prawns to resort to if you're not having any luck and just flick out the prawn on without any weight and let it drop

2smokinbarrels

Post by 2smokinbarrels » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Also try the Barwon River down the Sheepwash Rd end at sunrise or sunset. Had a red hot session there earlier this year where I landed 7 bream in the space of about an hour and a half (also landed a Trevally and the biggest mullet I've ever seen). I used sandworm as bait that i bought from a tackle shop in Geelong. Will post a photo soon

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 am

Bream fishing is very popular in Geelong region, and you can catch them all year round from different spots like Corio bay & Barwon Heads as the gentlemen have said before, and also in some of the little or smaller inlets around the region.
While you can get different type of Bream around Geelong but the Black Bream are the most popular catches, and to give you some tips on where to find them and what bait to use, here you go
The bream is very tolerant to any water salinity level,. So, they can be found in 100% freshwater and 100% salt water, or in between; so this can found in many varieties around Geelong; and since they normally live long life, they get smarter as they grow older, so the trick is how to get them closer and convenes them to swallow your bait and hock.
The young black bream feed on a much smaller species like baby prawns & worms; the larger adult bream feed on a variety of bottom-dwelling shellfish, worms, peeled shrimps, prawns & crabs.
Bream like to live around rocky areas around river mouths, and the smaller ones seek shelters in the shallower water near or around constructions, they like the protection of jetties and piers or anything that gives them a place to hide.
The most popular baits used by anglers for black bream are sand worms, prawns, Bass yabbies, crabs, shellfish, whitebait, shrimp and mullet gut.
Hopefully this helps.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rogs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:52 am

You can try St Helen and you can even catch variety of fish not only bream especially if you are using tube/sandworm.

2smokinbarrels

Post by 2smokinbarrels » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:41 am

Finally worked out how to get the photo off my phone and on the computer. As I said earlier, this was my catch at Barwon river earlier this year (I think it was in June)/ It was red hot for about an hour and a half then it just died off.
Attachments
fish.jpg
fish.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks guys for all your tips and advice. :thumbsup:

Return to “Bream Fishing”