First time in the Patto!

Everything about bream
samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

First time in the Patto!

Post by samjas1316 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:06 pm

This is ANOTHER report from my son, he loves writing them and I'm sure there will be plenty to come.

Hi guys,

So after recently catching my first bream on lures at the Bemm, I was anxious to get back out on the water. Unfortunately, a five hour trip to the Bemm isn't really an option for a day trip, and the weather was forecast to turn ugly at about midday. Looking for nearby breaming options, the Patto stood out as a possibility, and I'd been bugging Dad to fish the canals for ages. Waking up early, the winds were non existent and we made our way into the canals by sunrise.

I'd never really seen the canals before, so seeing the amount of bream structure I was incredibly hyped to fish. I hastily rigged up and began flicking. As we began to drift the system, more boats arrived and soon the small water was crowded. We spent about an hour flicking for no reward, and until we witnessed another boat pull up a fish, we began to wonder if the fish had swam off somewhere. Seeing another boat pull up fish gave us a bit of hope, and eventually, putting a cast behind a pontoon, in a likely looking shadow, I hooked up. The fish picked up the bait in less then a meter of water, and after realising it was hooked, the fish broke the surface and thrashed about. I managed to subdue him, and bringing him to the net, we realised he wasn't an ordinary fish:
20160730_082251.jpg
The fish, caught on a bloodworm grub, went 38cm and topped my 32cm from the Bemm
20160730_082450.jpg
It was a perfect start to the day, and I was ecstatic. Soon after the fish was released, Dad also had a fish to his name:
20160730_091050.jpg
His fish went 32cm, not as good as mine :thumbsup: but it was a good fish nonetheless. We now had a couple on the board, but despite our efforts, they were the only two bream for the trip. I managed to catch a mullet later on though:
20160730_101507.jpg
But after that, fishing went quiet. On the way back I imagined how good it would be to live in the canals:
20160730_103331.jpg
20160730_103316.jpg
Boy, would it be nice. We could feel the wind picking up, and deciding we had enough, we made our way back to the ramp. All in all a great session, and it was a great opportunity to check out the place. Can't wait to go back when it's a bit warmer!

All fish were released.

Thanks, Sam

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: First time in the Patto!

Post by mazman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:04 pm

Great write up, and a cracking bream to boot.
Just out of curiousity when was this? I believe the flood gates are now shut for half of the day for maintenance.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Well done fellas. Some father-son moments on the water is priceless. Sorry Sam your son has bragging rights mate. Btw... great report and an excellent read.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Great trip there !

What are the house worth there??
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Top report mate with some great pics. Well done :a_goodjob:

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Killer report Sam! That bream's a ripper...they're not easy fish to catch those patto bream. Can't wait for the next instalment

samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Post by samjas1316 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 pm

mazman wrote:Great write up, and a cracking bream to boot.
Just out of curiousity when was this? I believe the flood gates are now shut for half of the day for maintenance.

Cheers Alex
Mazman, we fished this morning 30/7. The water was very dirty from the gates up to the first bridge and then it got a bit clearer the further up you went.
seephil wrote:Well done fellas. Some father-son moments on the water is priceless. Sorry Sam your son has bragging rights mate. Btw... great report and an excellent read.
Seephil, I have two boys Samuel and Jasper, hence my username. And the first thing he says to me when we get in the car to head home was: "Who's the champion angler dad?" I had no comeback other than "WHO taught you EVERYTHING! And if you ever want to go fishing again you better never ever question my angling ability!" ;-)
barra mick wrote:Great trip there !

What are the house worth there??
No idea BM, but my boy was dreaming "how good would it be to have a fish before school, go to school, come home and have a fish before dinner then after dinner and repeat the next day until the weekend and then do the whole thing again less the going to school stuff.

Thanks LX and Pat (Did you catch his Bemm river report?) Sam is super keen and loves writing up these reports. I just wanted to put a couple of pics up...

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:54 pm

samjas1316 wrote:
mazman wrote:Great write up, and a cracking bream to boot.

Cheers Alex
Mazman, we fished this morning 30/7. The water was very dirty from the gates up to the first bridge and then it got a bit clearer the further up you went.
Bummer, I was planning a trip today but had heard the gates would be closed and went elsewhere.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:48 pm

Nice report & good bream.
I think I'll have to hang with your son to get tips in that place.
I've tried once inside and once outside with no hook-ups. I'm probably too impatient :-)
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:12 am

samjas1316 wrote: Thanks LX and Pat (Did you catch his Bemm river report?) Sam is super keen and loves writing up these reports. I just wanted to put a couple of pics up...
I just checked it then...brilliant! Sam you definitely have a talent for this stuff, keep the reports coming. We'll have to tee up a trip together soon and put together a joint report :)

Return to “Bream Fishing”