Any tips for a first time breamer fishing the CBD?

Everything about bream
Keepitreel

Any tips for a first time breamer fishing the CBD?

Post by Keepitreel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi gents,

I'm looking to head down to the CBD to fish for bream for my first time.

Anyone keen to share some tips on anything ranging from line weight, bait v lures to location. Anything is appreciated.

Cheers guys

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Any tips for a first time breamer fishing the CBD?

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm

You'd be wanting the sloths advise he's the CBD bream master...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Step1 grab yourself a latte coffe
I.e as shown here
IMG_1303_zpspzhuv50i.jpg
IMG_1303_zpspzhuv50i.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
Step 2....that's all I got...about bream fishing
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Ive spent 6 hours around docklands with SPs and fresh bait a few weeks back and didn't see a fish. My advice would be "go to paynesville for bream". Although if you are a paid up member here there is a fantastic write up on CBD bream fishing that is full of really great info in the members area. It's what made me have a crack. I recommend you read it, worth the cost of subscription alone.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 pm

This time of year is tough, they are starting to move deep and school up for spawning. There's still an edge bite in the maribyrnong but it is mainly in the mornings, it won't be long until you have to work hard for bream around the edges. In past years 'tea-bagging' the docks with blades has worked well over winter not everyones cup of tea but it catches fish.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 pm

mazman wrote:This time of year is tough, they are starting to move deep and school up for spawning. There's still an edge bite in the maribyrnong but it is mainly in the mornings, it won't be long until you have to work hard for bream around the edges. In past years 'tea-bagging' the docks with blades has worked well over winter not everyones cup of tea but it catches fish.

Cheers Alex
you got that right
IMG_2861 (Medium).JPG

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Personally I've found that the Yarra produces more and bigger fish than docklands and the fish there are also easier to catch. I fish the Yarra for bream every couple of weeks but have mates who fish it a lot more often. We've found that olive coloured Cranka crabs and lightly weighted 2"zman motor oil grubz are the stand oyt lures cast tight up against structure such as bridge pylons and pontoons. Stay mobile, work your way up the river and fish all the bridges. The fish tend to hit the cranka crabs on the drop but still let it hit the bottom and very slowly work it along the bottom with a couple of little rod flicks. With the zman grubz, we've found the best retrieve to be a slow wind with 2 short but sharp flicks of the rod tip. If you don't want the challenge of lures, bait is a great option. Have a look along the banks at low tide for rocks for live crabs. Find a couple and then rig up with a size 6 baitholder hook and chuck it on unweighted next to pontoons and bridges again. Watch the line as a bite indicator. The bite is generally tougher in winter so you'll have to persist a bit. If you decide to fish docklands this time of the year strike pro micro vibes or ecogear VX35 are the go to lure fished right next to pylons. Hope this helps!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:14 pm

Some good advice there mate :thumbsup:

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:20 pm

My brother and me have fished for bream in the CBD over a couple of decades - generally on bait. From the very beginning, I had a lot of success on plain old compost worms or maggots. It's pretty easy fishing, sometimes - particularly spring and summer. The biggest bream we've encountered would be in the 1.4kg range (45+ cm), with the majority around 28-32cm. You may also encounter pinkies if using other baits like pod worm or bass yabbies. I don't have a lot of experience with lures in the Yarra, but others seem to do well on them.

Marty.A

Post by Marty.A » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:59 pm

hornet wrote:You'd be wanting the sloths advise he's the CBD bream master...
Totally agree Sloths Post on the Docklands is probably the best info you can have for a first timer. :thumbsup:

Return to “Bream Fishing”