Yarra Bream

Everything about bream
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Yarra Bream

Post by ChrisD » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Agree with Sloth - shhhhhhh
Lower end is probably given some reprive due to the thought that it is too dirty.....and parking is painful.....and lets just all keep believing that is the case :)

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks guy's ;-) i was actually rather reluctant to even post this Yarra Bream thread, but i thought to share some useful info with the members here. Thing's have been really quiet on the local Bream front lately & i thought it be nice to let other member's in on it, as most angler's only keep a handful for eating & the majority of Bream are returned unharmed these days. :cheers:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Nah - it's all good. Pretty much every metro spot cops a flogging I'd say... Upper .... Middle or lower ... Was just being a bit cheeky as I tend to fish the lower system as its closest to home.

It's a bit quiet I think because it's that transition period between the deep winter bite and them getting up onto the edges. There's a few footballs swimming around so I expect won't be too long before they shutdown for spawning either.....

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:34 pm

For the amount of access the lower section has on offer it doesn't get anywhere near as much attention as let's say mordialloc pier..
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:38 pm

You bream fishos are a secretive lot, I remember a while back someone commented that they got an abusive private message for giving away too much info about Lakers Cutting ;-)
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:57 pm

^^
I have been fishing local waterways e.g The Yarra, Maribrynong river for Bream since 1983, when i was in my early teens & yeah we are a very guarded bunch of angler's, not as bad as Mulloway fishos though ;-) ..

sloth

Post by sloth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm

yeah I'm not sure why that is Gav. It may be the cleanliness as you pointed out earlier or maybe bream just aren't that popular a species to chase for the general angling population and in reality thats the main species in the lower estuaries.

I do think though that generally the focus is on saltwater fishing and table fish in Australia and that tends to focus people onto the piers and the bay.

Suits me :D The main concern I have with the lower yarra is the slow loss of access due to development and privatisation. I see more and more "no fishing" signs and private pontoons as well as areas closed off due to re-development. I expect in a couple of decades it will be a case where to fish it productively you need to be on the water as landbased access will be minimal and/or restricted to fishing "piers/areas"

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 pm

I really enjoy eating fresh Bream, i do fish for a feed of fish & practice catch & release, early in the season i catch my bag limit & put some fish away for food reasons "i love a freshly caught seafood meal" then i return the majority of my Bream to live + spawn.
Last edited by Fish-Hunter on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:52 pm

You're a braver man than I eating fish out of the lower Yarra
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:15 pm

^^
I dont eat Bream very often lately actually, prefering to return them, but I find the fish i do keep for a feed, to be good eating & nothing to be alarmed about when I have cooked them up.

Its recommended to eat no more than once a week for fish caught in the lower Yarra.

Return to “Bream Fishing”