What size hook?

Everything about bream
BigBad64

Re: What size hook?

Post by BigBad64 » Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

The main consensus seems to be http://products.gamakatsu.com.au/produc ... y=TQQRKANU&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which has the blurb;
"Presenting a prawn-like shape this is a great hook to use for whole unpeeled prawns. Start the hook under the prawn tail, follow the bend of the prawn with the hook point protruding from just under the prawn’s head. Dynamite! This hook is superb as a live-baiting hook for tail-hooked live prawns........."

Can anyone post a picture of their presentation of the prawn on this hook so I can see how it's supposed to look?

Hookedon

Post by Hookedon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:41 pm

1/0 personally is perfect for bream
I use either a suicide or octopus

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:44 pm

1/0 or 2/0 for bream, the SZ6 looks the goods too but I have tried them.

sedgez900

Post by sedgez900 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Black magic size 1

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Size 1 hooks for me, generally octopus or circle hooks, but have also fished with size 2 baitholders. I tend to like a slightly bigger hook as you don't hook as many really small fish.

I C&R when it comes to bream so try to avoid gut hooking. I've found I've still gut hooked fish with circle hooks because the bream have picked up the bait and run, swallowing the bait and hook. With a normal octopus hook or a baitholder I can strike a bit earlier and while I miss a few fish doing this, it gives the fish less time to swallow the hook.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:26 pm

I usually buy a box of shiner size 6. Expensive, but I use it for whiting, bream, pinkies and flathead. They don't rust out very quickly and i usually reuse them after washing them in freshwater. Great general purpose hook where you're happy to catch whatever swims by.

If using prawns, Take the head off first and remove the first two segments of the shell, leaving the rest of the shell on. Thread the hook from about half way along the underside of the prawn (where the legs are) and thread it up inside the body so that the first bend of the hook near the barb can just be seen protruding from where you ripped the head away from the body. Tie one or two half hitches along the last two shell segments of the prawn near the tail. No need to have the shank of the hook along the body of the prawn. The half hitches are there so that when you cast out, the prawn doesn't fly off. The half hitches also keep the hook on the prawn when the pickers are active.

The great thing about the shiner is that you have a chance at catching small and large mouth fishes because of it's shape and it's fine wire.

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:57 am

ecoronad wrote:I usually buy a box of shiner size 6. Expensive, but I use it for whiting, bream, pinkies and flathead. They don't rust out very quickly and i usually reuse them after washing them in freshwater. Great general purpose hook where you're happy to catch whatever swims by.

If using prawns, Take the head off first and remove the first two segments of the shell, leaving the rest of the shell on. Thread the hook from about half way along the underside of the prawn (where the legs are) and thread it up inside the body so that the first bend of the hook near the barb can just be seen protruding from where you ripped the head away from the body. Tie one or two half hitches along the last two shell segments of the prawn near the tail. No need to have the shank of the hook along the body of the prawn. The half hitches are there so that when you cast out, the prawn doesn't fly off. The half hitches also keep the hook on the prawn when the pickers are active.

The great thing about the shiner is that you have a chance at catching small and large mouth fishes because of it's shape and it's fine wire.
:good: and great info !!

Thanks Ecoronad for sharing :a_goodjob: :thumbsup:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am

No# 4 to 1 are good hook size's for most Bream bait fishing..

Return to “Bream Fishing”