Very good Nong soft plastics

Everything about bream
Fishsniper

Very good Nong soft plastics

Post by Fishsniper » Sun May 24, 2015 5:52 pm

I have been using these plastics for the last week or so and they are dynamite at the nong, I was casting them out and then sitting back and lighting up a smoke and move the rod tip 2 inces every now and then and they were taking them off the bottom, constant action, HOWEVER, I was having trouble hooking the buggers as they seemed to be mouthing it and mostly spitting out so you had to really watch your line, give them a go and if you can work out how to get more hook up then PLEASE let me know your secret, lol
thanks Frank
Attachments
DSCF3006.JPG

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Very good Nong soft plastics

Post by hornet » Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Fishsniper wrote:I have been using these plastics for the last week or so and they are dynamite at the nong, I was casting them out and then sitting back and lighting up a smoke and move the rod tip 2 inces every now and then and they were taking them off the bottom, constant action, HOWEVER, I was having trouble hooking the buggers as they seemed to be mouthing it and mostly spitting out so you had to really watch your line, give them a go and if you can work out how to get more hook up then PLEASE let me know your secret, lol
thanks Frank
Sloth will know, wait till he comes along..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun May 24, 2015 6:14 pm

seen a few vids where they where running the hook from legs to legs. would make sense since the bream tend to go at the legs an claws.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sun May 24, 2015 7:01 pm

adamk wrote:seen a few vids where they where running the hook from legs to legs. would make sense since the bream tend to go at the legs an claws.
Hey bud, do you mean sideways as to make the plastic move like a crab? thats what I did, I also tried various weights but the lighter ones were getting all the hits, I
am thinking a small treble with a micro split shot withe treble coming out the sides with the legs and the split shot attached to the line beneath the other legs.
The crabs are in some sort of amino acid juice and they find it iresistable

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 pm

how are you rigging them, that's does make the difference between a looker and a taker.
have you tried the cranka crab in these areas you mention, expensive but work very well.
go as light as possible with these plastics, they usually take it on the drop near structure. or just dead stick it like you have been doing

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sun May 24, 2015 7:45 pm

If you were getting one or two good tugs on the line but striking to nothing then most likely toadies I'm afraid. Fishing any bio-lure in the Nong can be frustrating if they're around. Usually bream will just take off with it. You know when you're on.

To improve hookup rate you can try a treble but it will snag up a bit more if you go that way. I use w-hooks and push the shank through if I want to improve hookups

I always rig through the back and out between the eyes. A defensive crab scuttles backwards with pincers raised so that's generally what I try to present to the bream.

Standard jighead I fish #4 on a 1/24 but depends on current and situation. If I'm fishing banks/flats and I want a long cast I'll rig heavy. If I'm fishing structure and want to target fish on the drop I'll go lighter.

Retrieve wise I do a short draw of the rod and pause. Basically drag the crab along the bottom. If I hit structure I'll lift it over by raising the rod tip. Dead sticking also works.

You're right though they do go nuts for them - you generally know though if it's a bream as it will be inhaled

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sun May 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks for that sloth, got a feeling it was bream as I got a few good runs, problem was that i had another rod out with size 12 hook and little bits of tube worm to catch some mullet and the rod kept going off so i kept missing the bites on the plastics, i am going to use your w hook and threading method as I think its the answer

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sun May 24, 2015 9:03 pm

Ahh ok. Yeah two rods would be a challenge :)

bigwatkins

Post by bigwatkins » Sun May 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Where abouts in the nong do u fish? I tend to go around anglers tavern but havent fished it since the body parts came out haha. I thought with all this rain recently it would be a bit s#*t anyway

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 pm

I fish not far from there and then work my way up to essendon, the lake has a few in there ATM, but I'm finding a few behind the old munitions factory but I'm not telling exactly where, lol, I have been fishing a few hairy bends around Essendon but its slippery and steep but worthit
cheers

Return to “Bream Fishing”