Bream fish

Everything about bream
skuxliss

Bream fish

Post by skuxliss » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:15 am

Hi all,

may sound like a dumb question but I've been reading alot lately on people catching Bream at the Maribyrnong River, Docklands, Bolt bridge under etc, now question is can you eat Bream? I'm from New Zealand and never come across a variety of fish here in Aussie haha.

I've mainly been fishing for Aussie Salmon and Snapper, but since I work at Docklands, I keep thinking of packing the rod and fishing in the river to avoid being stuck in the traffic on the way home.

drewb

Re: Bream fish

Post by drewb » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:23 am

You can, although I wouldn't be eating anything that came out of the Yarra around Docklands or the Maribyrnong.

Also most people who target Bream catch and release as they are a very slow going species.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:28 am

Bream are ok to eat, not the greatest though. I tend to avoid them because of how slow growing they are. This means they have a lot of time to collect the heavy metals that are scattered through most metro rivers and in systems that aren't full of heavy metals and I generally C & R anyway
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:33 am

Caught tonneas over the years for me I release 90% of caught fish n don't think I've ever kept a bream but they put up a great fight for there size!! Worth taking Ur rod to work for that alone
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:12 pm

There is a DEPI release somewhere that talks about not eating fish out the Nong more than once a week. I'm too lazy to find it right now.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Google pcb reports for yarra and Nong. Generally it's recommended to limit to a small (150g) serve once a week. If you're pregnant or a kid then once a month .....

I fish those areas and I wouldn't eat anything other than potentially pinkies/snapper from there. Actually probably wouldn't do that either. When you've fished it after a decent storm water run-off you'll know :)

I work around docklands and fish it a lot and it's very productive - C&R only for me though. Even the condoms.

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks fellas. Yeah was looking at more C&R but was wondering if it's eadible as well. Even going to the fish market to get dinner is sometimes crazy when the amount of fish is available.

Bread and cheese look to be the main baits for bream?

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

i love bream as a table fish.. its up there with whiting in my book.. but yes i also would avoid them from the BCD areas.. but off the surf, the tambo, mitchell, nickolson rivers... gippy lakes.. i would be thinking.. yum yum tum tum..
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Aren't they a Boney fish? To be eaten off the bone like snapper?
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:34 pm

skuxliss wrote:Thanks fellas. Yeah was looking at more C&R but was wondering if it's eadible as well. Even going to the fish market to get dinner is sometimes crazy when the amount of fish is available.

Bread and cheese look to be the main baits for bream?
Not the best tasting fish but good fun on light gear, here is a list of baits ive personally caught bream on:
Tube worms, pod worms, earth worms, chicken, pippi, whitebait, pilchard, live mullet, dead mullet, clickers (bass yabbies) , live shell, prawn and dough.

If i had to name a top 3 baits it would be tube worms, bass yabbies and tube worms.

Return to “Bream Fishing”