Marribrynong River Bream on lures. Help Please???

Everything about bream
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Marribrynong River Bream on lures. Help Please???

Post by sloth » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Yes will save hassle as you don't need to retie leaders. The downsides are potential line management issues due to memory and coils in the line (dependent on fc quality/brand, line lay/reel and spool size), there's also a lot more stretch in the line than braid so you lose sensitivity and hook set power (a disadvantage for soft plastics and blades ) ..... But that stretch is an advantage for hardbodies as it tends to mean less pulled hooks.

As long as you don't go too light (I wouldn't go below 4lb) and you get a decent spinning fluorocarbon as well as practicing good line management like tensioning the slack line with your fingers for the first couple of winds so no loose loops go onto the reel, then you should be fine. I fish 5lb sunline sniper straight through and it's fine. In a pinch I use it with soft plastics but much prefer braid for the feel. I have a reel with a spare spool so I have fc on one and braid on the other so I can change as needed.

Life is also made easier if you use lure clips (decoy round 0 or 00) so your not re-tying lures if you want to switch them.

If/when you go the braid route then slim beauty or fg knot seems to be the popular choices. However, I'm lazy and bought a daiwa knot tool for $25. It allows me to tie a seaguar knot in about 15 seconds and more often than not it's not my leader to mainline knot which pops so it's plenty strong enough.

Long story short - yep you'll be fine with just fc for now. As you progress you'll get a better idea for the type of lures and techniques you enjoy and that will dictate to a degree what path to take gear wise

Charleymcf

Post by Charleymcf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Just watch some youtube videos on the uni to uni knot it's pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sloth

Post by sloth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Charleymcf wrote:Just watch some youtube videos on the uni to uni knot it's pretty simple
It's a good knot but not the best for micro guides and light lines and leaders. Most Breamers using 4-6lb lines and leaders run one of the aforementioned knots like the slim beauty or fg knot. Repeated lure casting bangs bulkier knots against the guides and it becomes a weak point in the system.

Charleymcf

Post by Charleymcf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:35 pm

I run 3 lb fire line with 6-4 lb leader. 6 twists of braid and 3-4 on fluro and I have had no trouble. I also run the diawa black edition rods with have tiny eyes, if yr leader isn't too heavy the knot should be pretty slim. I'm from hobart and fish a lot with a few bream comp fishos and they all run the uni to uni and they dominate the **** out of the bream

sloth

Post by sloth » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Cool - glad it works for you. I use the gen blacks too with the micro guides. Personally I use a seaguar knot on 6lb gekka braid to a 4lb fc leader but I know a number of abt comp anglers that swear by the fg and slim beauty. I've never heard of the uni-to-uni being recommended. Obviously working for you guys though so I may give it a shot at some point - definitely the easiest knot to tie out of the ones suggested.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:32 pm

sloth wrote:Cool - glad it works for you. I use the gen blacks too with the micro guides. Personally I use a seaguar knot on 6lb gekka braid to a 4lb fc leader but I know a number of abt comp anglers that swear by the fg and slim beauty. I've never heard of the uni-to-uni being recommended. Obviously working for you guys though so I may give it a shot at some point - definitely the easiest knot to tie out of the ones suggested.
Uni to uni does work but it should be checked after a bit of use, I have recently changed to a slim beauty and it is definitely a big improvement.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

sloth

Post by sloth » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:01 am

For what it's worth - this is the knot tool I use:

http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/fdu38-da ... imeo-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:19 am

Yeah just started using the uni to uni. It is a bit thick and doesn't run through the line like I would have thought. But I tied one last night for the first time and it is pretty darn strong.

Charleymcf

Post by Charleymcf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:42 am

That tool looks awesome and yr right much slimmer than the uni. Might have to get one

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:59 am

Charlie.. havw you ever tried the FG knot???. It's not the eaaiest to tie. But ita the thinnest ans strongest out there.
For the genblack rods or whatever else have micro guides. Leaders upto 8lb can be tied with uni to uni. Anything bigger won't work with that knot. .

Return to “Bream Fishing”