Bemm River in a couple of weeks?

Everything about bream
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Bemm River in a couple of weeks?

Post by hornet » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 am

There's heaps of cheap battery aerators around, or just change the water regularly, that should do it ..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

claretone

Post by claretone » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:15 am

If you are going to target the big flatties just be careful the size limits there as the duskys can grow well in excess of the 55cm max 'keeper' size.

Mark will tell you where they are biting as we go there a fair bit, just be careful as some spots are very shallow even though there is no land around you for a couple of hundred of meters.

cheers
MY WIFE LETS ME BUYS ALL THE FISHING GEAR I CAN HIDE !!

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Claretone - it's good that you reminded me of the max size for flatties. Although we mostly practice catch and release anyway and just keep a few fish for a feed for my partner when I go home.
I've been in contact with Mark lately and I'm renting a holiday house through him, and I'll have to pick up the keys from the shop when I get there. So I'll definitely be chatting to him.
If I do get a dusky over 55cm I'll be absolutely stoked. Definitely a photo opportunity and then back in the water to breed up some more dusky's.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

G'day Bugalugs I have been up there a few times but in the summer months. Last time the entrance was closed and was informed by a few other fishos that the trick was to fish the shallow water under a metre with unweighted baits and drift as well as using soft plastics. It worked a treat and we caught quality Bream & Flatties.
Attachments
DSCN2247.JPG
DSCN2247.JPG (158.4 KiB) Viewed 925 times
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks Boonanza ... I was thinking of heading into the shallows and casting a few baits out there. I'm sure the water temp will have raised a bit by the time we get there so I'm hoping the fish will be more active. I've only caught a few tiny flatties there. Am hoping for a few bigger ones this time. Fingers crossed

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:02 pm

We caught a lot more bream than flatties but when you get a flattie it is normally over 40cm & great eating size. I'm looking forward to your report mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers Steve
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:19 pm

are you going have 3 people in a 12ft tinny just be careful with the west/sw winds bemm can be dangerous their is a storm hut if its too windy to get back to ramp

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Sandef - thanks for the warning. We've had to retreat to the Storm hut once before just to get a break from the rain. It was a welcome relief. We've only been to The Bemm 3 times but we've actually found that quite often late in the day when we are heading back to the ramp that the wind is from the SW so we head left out of the channel towards the Mahoganys and then try to go with the wind towards the ramp. We get wet, we take it slow, but we know the dangers. Once the boat is on the trailer we have a couple of relaxing pots at the pub then head to our accommodation for dinner and a few more beers. Thanks for the warning as we do appreciate your advice.
Cheers
Neil

Return to “Bream Fishing”