Attaching leader to main line

Everything about bream
Fishingzoey

Attaching leader to main line

Post by Fishingzoey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm just getting into fishing and I got a rod and reel from a mate. According to my mate the reel is spooled with 4lbs braid.

I wanted to know whether to attach the leader directly to main line or attach via a swivel?

Is it preferable to use a running sinker rig with a leader attached to the mainline via a swivel?

Thanks
Mick

Four wheels move the body but two wheels move the soul.

Dano

Re: Attaching leader to main line

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:57 pm

swivel would be best to stop your slider sliding down to your hook

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Paternosta rig is popular ,google a vid on how to do it...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Fishingzoey

Post by Fishingzoey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. Something else I just thought about, does the area I'm fishing in determine whether to use a swivel or tie the leader directly to the main line? For example, fishing at Patterson river, how would you set up?

Sorry for the questions. I'm a complete newb.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Fishingzoey wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. Something else I just thought about, does the area I'm fishing in determine whether to use a swivel or tie the leader directly to the main line? For example, fishing at Patterson river, how would you set up?

Obtain Wilsons book on knots and rigs, there some good websites that also that have some good instructions.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi Zoey,

I would highly recommend Geoff Wilsons book about rigs and baits, and also the AFN landbased guide to port phillip bay. Excellent books to begin to build your knowledge base and diversify your techniques.

Two basic rigs I use when bait fishing are running sinker and paternoster

There are very few times not to use a swivel when bait fishing. For know i'll say always use one. Running sinker is by far the easiest to tie.

Running sinker looks like this

Mainline with sinker----Swivel----leader----hook

Paternoster looks like this

Mainline---- Swivel with dropper hook-----swivel with dropper hook-----sinker. Recently discovered three way swivels which are great for tangles.

Learn the improved blood knot, uni knot, double overhand loop and twisted dropper knot, when it comes time to try lures learn to tie a slim beauty. But you can get by with only knowing the improved blood knot if you have too.

For the Patterson river there is no reason not to just use a running sinker, use the smallest possible sinker you can to keep your bait on the bottom, and size your hook appropriately to the bait or the fish you want to catch.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Fishingzoey wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. Something else I just thought about, does the area I'm fishing in determine whether to use a swivel or tie the leader directly to the main line? For example, fishing at Patterson river, how would you set up?

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Articles/Fi ... 47680.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:58 pm

First of all, welcome ...

And I guess since this is in the Bream Fishing area, and the reel is spooled with 4lb braid, the rod would probably be "light" and for bream?

Its not so much the area you're fishing in that determines if its straight main line to leader or with swivel. It depends on if you're luring or baiting amongst other things.

If you're luring with 4lb braid, I would highly suggest braid to leader .. and very light leader at that (again assuming you're going after bream)

Some purist would tied leader direct to lure, but quite a few prefer to use snaps/clips for that quick change. If you go for this, use size 00, which will generally handle 5-8kg easily. Owner make good ones, even a rubber coated "silent" type.

Its been tough luring at Patto though, unless you're on a kayak, or have some means to get to where the boats are (generally secured) among the pylons etc. Sometimes under the bridge is good, but very hit and miss.

A lot of fishos land-based would bait. You can buy bait but most successes come from obtaining bait from Patto itself. People pump for bait, use small nets for the little shrimp, etc. Chicken soaked in tuna oil and fresh peeled prawns have also worked. IF the little live shrimp are around and you net some for bait, put 2 on a hook and its gunbait.

Now if you bait, and in the case for bream, I would suggest a running sinker rig over a Paternoster - with small hooks. Again this is for Patto. Size 6 to 8 hooks work. Use as light a sinker as you can get depending on the conditions. Just enough for the bait to float gently to the bottom. Bream can be finicky and can spit out your bait really fast the moment they feel some weight on it. Hence the reason I'd go running sinker over Paternoster. This is NOT to say paternosters don't work. I have caught bream there with a paternoster rig with circle hooks.

Run the mainline through the ball sinker to a small swivel, then leader to hook. For light setups like these I prefer not to leave rod in a holder but hold it in my hand. It might be exciting to feel the double tap of the bream, or more than likely, plenty of nuisance toadies and other small fish taking small nibbles at your bait.

Having said all that, Patto hasn't been firing lately. You'll hear of some great successful trips there but more often than not, its just chilling out with friends and soaking bait, or strolling along the river flicking lures.

Fishing for bream is quite different at Docklands and Sloth is very knowledgeable there. Lures and bait work there, but we're talking about the veteran bream that hangout there, these fish have experienced a lot of noob fishermen and laughed at us all from below. They are the Mafia bream. But Sloth knows how to catch them. Search the site, there's a very good post by him about Bream fishing at Docklands here somewhere.

But above all, just go out and fish fish fish. you'll always catch something - a fish, doughnuts or even a cold.
Abuthen

jacob.s

Post by jacob.s » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 am

I would say swivil if you are using baits but if you are casting lures and plastics I would tie it directly on

Fishingzoey

Post by Fishingzoey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Thanks all for the detailed info. I've got so much to learn. Fishing in the docklands might be a goer... Just need to find a way to bring my rod and reel with me to work.

Return to “Bream Fishing”