Midlife crisis?? Advice needed.

Everything about bream
M9085

Re: Midlife crisis?? Advice needed.

Post by M9085 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:13 pm

ducky wrote:If you’re completely new to it absolutely start off in yak comps.

But judging by your advice requests you’re not even really targeting Bream atm?
That's not entirely correct, I have been targeting however "didn't have much luck".

Last time I caught one, it would be 20 yrs ago... and soft plastics were only becoming available.

M9085

Post by M9085 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 pm

mazman wrote:Alright I've waited until I got home to write out a proper reply for this.
The first thing I think is that advice regarding rods over the internet, while helpful to an extent, is very limited as everyone has their own preference regarding action, componentary and the feel of a rod. So it is worth trying to work out what you like.

For bream in general and competitions in particular I would seriously consider getting two outfits, one longer rod with a mod/fast-fast action and a shorter rod with a faster action and a bit more backbone.
Personally I use a skyroad t702m for the former and a volkey 662l for the latter. Imo the TNSB probably fits the criteria for the former but I haven't done more than wiggle one in a shop (a while ago) so I can't really comment.
If you were to go down the one rod route 6'9-7' and 2-6lb or there abouts would be my go to, if you don't intend to fish much heavy structure and want a trout rod as well the TNSB or skyroad should do the trick but for a bream all rounder I would go closer to 6'9 and maybe a touch heavier something like the jml sensation kayak bream/bass or the muse gold 69ml (a touch heavy imo)

For trout I prefer slightly longer rods than most but one thing that most agree on is that a slower rod is better, the skyroad I use for bream is also a good trout rod as it has a slightly slower action to soften jumps and headshakes and I believe the tnsb would as well.
Definitely I want to go to the shop and wiggle a few sticks, just don't know where to start. the other day I went to Hooked On in Hoppers and was overwhelmed with the number of rods available. having said that I didn't like any of them.
I prefer them longer and faster. thanks mazman, I will try to locate the skyroad t702 and have a play.

M9085

Post by M9085 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:30 pm

purple5ive wrote:Just to reflect whats been said by mazman.

You really need to have a feel of the rods In person before you buy. But then again if you haven't fished for bream before your not going to know what to expect really.

Fishing bream tournaments are not easy and not cheap.
Firstly if tiki want to fish boat based comps you need to have a partner. A team is 2 people fir comps you cannot fish alone .
Then there's the option to fish as a non boater in the ABT
This means you fish with someone that the organisers pick on the day..
Then there's the hobie kayak comp. This is doable for you alone.
In saying all this if you havent caught bream on plastics yet or on a lure then i suggest you give the comps a miss for now And concentrate on trying to sharpen your skills a bit better
If your on facebook then join the victorian bream chasers page. Quite a few members fish the nong there. They might be able to help you.
I have never fished the nong or Werribee so cant help you there
Exactly.
Not long ago I bought a rod, purely for SP and I don't like it. Never fished SP prior I took advice from sales person, but it was a wrong choice. I would like to get one that will suit me.
I guess I should "crawl before I walk"

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:32 pm

4liters wrote:
CarlG wrote:Firstly, it must be a midlife crisis if you're thinking of chasing bream for God's sake.
Bream are poofta fish, (apologies to any gay, lesbian yadda, yadda out there).
Have a go at these ba5tard5, this'll sort out your crisis real quick.
nice yakka
It's the Montague Island jumbo Yakka.
Yakkarus Bigbastardus.

M9085

Post by M9085 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 pm

CarlG wrote:Firstly, it must be a midlife crisis if you're thinking of chasing bream for God's sake.
Mate I don't know where to look for them AND don't have a means of getting to find them and equipment to catch them.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:50 pm

M9085 wrote:
Mate I don't know where to look for them AND don't have a means of getting to find them and equipment to catch them.
Carl just likes to remind people that the fish he catches are big because he isn't :rofl:
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 pm

Go spend a few weeks targeting Bream on lure then ask yourself if you really wanna do it in a comp.

I’m 90% certain this is a **** effort at a pisstake. If it’s not then just start targeting them yourself. Don’t need a comp to chase pb’s. All comps do is out more boats on the water.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 pm

M9085 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Just to reflect whats been said by mazman.

You really need to have a feel of the rods In person before you buy. But then again if you haven't fished for bream before your not going to know what to expect really.

Fishing bream tournaments are not easy and not cheap.
Firstly if tiki want to fish boat based comps you need to have a partner. A team is 2 people fir comps you cannot fish alone .
Then there's the option to fish as a non boater in the ABT
This means you fish with someone that the organisers pick on the day..
Then there's the hobie kayak comp. This is doable for you alone.
In saying all this if you havent caught bream on plastics yet or on a lure then i suggest you give the comps a miss for now And concentrate on trying to sharpen your skills a bit better
If your on facebook then join the victorian bream chasers page. Quite a few members fish the nong there. They might be able to help you.
I have never fished the nong or Werribee so cant help you there
Exactly.
Not long ago I bought a rod, purely for SP and I don't like it. Never fished SP prior I took advice from sales person, but it was a wrong choice. I would like to get one that will suit me.
I guess I should "crawl before I walk"

Everyone has specific requirements they look for in a rod or reel. What works for me might not necessarily work for you or anyone else.
I prefer to fish plastics with a fast or xfast taper.(basically a stiff rod) While my partner for bream comp chooses a noodle. We both catch fish its just how we go about it is different.
My partner fishes with a mixture of elcheapo and medium range outfits. Mine are what i would classify as above mid range. Both of us catch similar amount of fish.
But there has been instances where having the right kind of rod for the required task has proven itself in the form of fish after fish for me and donuts for my partner.
These things though come with time on the water and not by going to a shop and wiggling some rods around. Ofcourse they help but its just the start. And thats exactly how we all started. Asking questions and then going and putting it into perspective.
Ive spent countless hours in tackleshops trying to find what in after.

For a start the rods mazman has mentioned you cannot buy locally. So no chance for you unless you find someone tgay has one already locally. Or meet him and have a look at them.

Pending budget.

Under $200 for rod
Id look at the generation black itchy twitchy or scratchy
Team daiwa hyper in a 1-3kg range

The reel is also important so dont skimp on it if you can.
The newer daiwa LT reels are quite nice. Or get the stradic from shimano.

Dont be aftraid to try 100 rods before you decide what you want to get.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 pm

ducky wrote:Go spend a few weeks targeting Bream on lure then ask yourself if you really wanna do it in a comp.

I’m 90% certain this is a sh*t effort at a pisstake. If it’s not then just start targeting them yourself. Don’t need a comp to chase pb’s. All comps do is out more boats on the water.
Ive aready told him that.
Plus the amount of $$$ spent to actually enter comps. Food. Accomodation. Travel expenses. It all adds up rather quickly..

Which is why i suggested as well targetting them first locally and then go from there.
You will only **** the other partner to bits if you have nfi what your doing and have him spend time trying to help you when he shoukd be fishing.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:19 pm

mazman wrote:
M9085 wrote:
Carl just likes to remind people that the fish he catches are big because he isn't :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Bream Fishing”