Mordialloc Creek

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
shazzagraz

Mordialloc Creek

Post by shazzagraz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm

The mrs and I had planned a day trip to Flinders Pier today, but with the weather being a bit crap and our bank account being a bit low, we decided to go somewhere a little more local, so we headed to Mordialloc.

We packed some food and drinks in preparation of the barbeque we would have down there, packed the fishing gear in the car then headed on our way with our little boy in his chair in the back seat. The mrs, being from Albury originally, hasn't seen a great deal of Melbourne so for her it was exciting to go somewhere new, even if it was only half an hour from home.

On arrival, the little man was hungry so I let my wife feed him some dinner while I went for a quick walk up the pier to see if any action was happening. It was windy as all hell out on the pier and nobody was catching anything, not even reports of getting any bites, except for one guy that said he had caught a couple of gar's. On my way back I spotted a few people fishing the mouth of Mordialloc Creek, so I wondered past to see if they were having any luck. Again, nothing happening down there.

So I walk back to the car to find my wife playing with our son on the grass, he had obviously finished his dinner. We grabbed the food and found an available barbeque. After enjoying a nice meal of gourmet sausages and salad with a nice cold bottle of Wild Turkey and cola, it was time to grab the fishing gear and try our luck.

We headed towards the creek where I was keen to give it a crack, being a little bit more sheltered from the wind than on the crowded pier. Our boy was in the pram which meant we couldn't get down to the tip of the mouth of the creek, so we set up shop on the footpath, giving me great access to cast between two boats on the edge of the creek.

Earlier today I had bought some heavier jig heads, 1/6oz because I knew it would be a little windy and I wanted to be able to cast half decently. So with my new jig head on, I baited her up with a 65mm poddy fish Squidgie (http://www.squidgies.com.au/squidgyprofish.aspx). I'm new to lure fishing, only started this year and was yet to catch anything on a soft plastic. I've been out quite a few times with no hits at all, so my confidence in soft plastics was fading very quickly.

But... I hadn't fished at Mordialloc before, and today was going to be my lucky day. I cast the squidgie in, not really expecting anything to happen. First cast returned nothing. Second cast, similar area, again no result. Third cast, I decide to cast a bit towards my left, couple of jerks, nothing happening yet, get the line just about half way back in, another double jerk, then bam! I was on. It wasn't a very hard hit and she wasn't fighting very hard, so I wasn't expecting too much, but it wasn't long till she surfaced and I could see she was a very nice sized flat head. By this time I had a small audience cramping my space, wanting to get a glimpse. I guess they don't see too many fish being caught right there. I bagged her up and continued casting, with my hopes of catching more pretty high at this stage, considering I got that beauty on my third cast. But unfortunately it wasn't to be. We stayed for another hour and a half without any hits, and by this time the wind was very strong, so we decided to pack and go home.

Before leaving thought I took the opportunity to get the flat head out and measure her, and take a photo. She measured in at 49cm, which is probably a PB for me. You could not wipe the smile off my face. Great size and first fish caught on a soft plastic. Today was a great day, even if it was only one fish!

Hopefully there'll be more to come!

Fish-Hunter

Re: Mordialloc Creek

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:44 am

Well done mate , great Flathead on a soft plastic . :thumbsup:

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:39 am

MIKER wrote:Well done mate , great Flathead on a soft plastic . :thumbsup:
Cheers mate! :)

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm

nice! Now you will be addicted to SP. I also started my SP addiction in Mordi when the salmon was thick....just almost 3 years ago. It's been almost 2 months since I last hit Mordi. Too bad not much action out there.

I went to St Kilda last night and pulled up a nice flatty on Gulp 4 inch minnow on my 4th or 5th cast. It was smaller than the one caught by shazz. Dropped a similar sized flatty afterwards and missed a lot of hits due to the wind dragging my line. I was unable to feel the "tap tap" due to the strong wind hitting my rod. Will be back there when it's a bit calm. There are flatties there I am sure about that.

Last night was bloody windy and I lost my cap...a gust of wind took it and sent it to the drink. Despite my attempts to hook it, the wind made it too difficult to recover.. It was special to me. It was an original article from the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk CV63. If anyone sees it on a beach somewhere, please contact me here. I am sure I am the only one around who had that kind of baseball cap. It was a "US Navy ranking officers only hat" given to me by a retired USN officer.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

jason_bray

Post by jason_bray » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Well done, I Have yet to have any luck at mordi creek. Fingers crossed next time I give it a go ill catch something. Have seen a few times people catching pretty good sized bream more towards nepean highway.
I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Watch out jason, the toadies will wreck your sp, i lost a whole packet the other week!
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:54 pm

Very nice flatty Shaz especially breaking your duck on SP :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Fish-cador wrote:nice! Now you will be addicted to SP. I also started my SP addiction in Mordi when the salmon was thick....just almost 3 years ago. It's been almost 2 months since I last hit Mordi. Too bad not much action out there.

I went to St Kilda last night and pulled up a nice flatty on Gulp 4 inch minnow on my 4th or 5th cast. It was smaller than the one caught by shazz. Dropped a similar sized flatty afterwards and missed a lot of hits due to the wind dragging my line. I was unable to feel the "tap tap" due to the strong wind hitting my rod. Will be back there when it's a bit calm. There are flatties there I am sure about that.

Last night was bloody windy and I lost my cap...a gust of wind took it and sent it to the drink. Despite my attempts to hook it, the wind made it too difficult to recover.. It was special to me. It was an original article from the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk CV63. If anyone sees it on a beach somewhere, please contact me here. I am sure I am the only one around who had that kind of baseball cap. It was a "US Navy ranking officers only hat" given to me by a retired USN officer.
Bad luck FC on loosing the cap. Murphy laws says we can cast lures/SP and catch fish we can't see but when we can see our target like a floating hat we can't catch it. Hope you can come across it again
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”