mixed catch

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
Tomcat1

mixed catch

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:31 am

went to fish tonight at one of the local beaches thinking i might get lucky and find a salmon school. since it was a beach i have never fished before and have not seen others fishing i figured it might not be a very good spot. took 2 surf rods with me and my sp rod. had one surf rod set up with a paternoster rig with #2 circle hooks and using pipis for bait.
had the other surf rod with a running sinker rig and pilchard for bait. 10 minutes after i casted the first baits out i got a nice bite on the pipis. reeled in a 30 cm mullet.
i rebaited the hooks threw it back out and almost as soon as it hit the water i was reeling in a 36 cm bream. rebaited angain and casted back out. waited for a while and the big surf rod went off. ran to get it nd whatever it was let go of the hook jut before i got to the rod. whatever it was was pulling out drag really well.
reeled it in, put on a fresh pilchard and casted back out. 20 minuted later the reel was screaming again. reeled in and it was a 40 cm gummy which i cleaned some sea lice off of and released. baited back up casted in again. the other surf rod went off again with a 32 cm salmon.
baited, casted and started throwing the sp out. caught 3 more salmon all around the 30 cm mark. then caught 1 king george on the surf rod with pipis. and caught 2 banjos on the big surf rod.
was a fun night fishing and was tempted to stay longer but have to work tomorrow so called it a night.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: mixed catch

Post by bowl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:36 am

sounds like a great session.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:47 am

Niiiice sounds like fun

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:48 am

yep always nice when we find places that arent crowded and have a good lil session. was still getting bites when i packed up. hated to leave when i did lol.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:03 am

Well done tomcat sounds like a productive session
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 am

That's great. I'm sure you can try today again. . Good work man

kabo

Post by kabo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:40 am

Nice one! That certainly answers my question of whether it's worth it trying the beaches -rather than the piers- in the bay :)

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 am

yep i have fished the beaches around the piers a number of times and done okay. but the piers and the beaches around them tend to get pretty crowded so i figured i would go and try some spots that arent crowded. now that i see this new spot fishes well i might take the yak out with me next time.

Luke1989

Post by Luke1989 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:47 am

good stuff bud!
seems like you had a good fishing session!
its always hard at beaches Ive found, as there's always so many people! even nighttime you get the odd amount of people swimming on nice nights
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot....

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:35 am

Nice night for it and you caught fish, I like to remove the lice and those black little worms that attach themselves to the fish I am releasing

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”