Mordialloc Creek Common Carp

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
DMAN NZ

Mordialloc Creek Common Carp

Post by DMAN NZ » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:00 pm

Big Common Carp in Mordi Creek tonight, just as the sun had gone down. Fishing just 20 metres from the road where it goes over Mordialloc Creek, just across the road from the Bridge Pub, my 12 year old son, hooked a 10lb ish Common Carp tonight, float fishing, using bread. Soon as he struck it rod bent right over and it screamed off out to the other side. After a good 15 minute fight on a 8lb line, my son did great, we couldn't get it in. Fish was so bloody heavy couldn't lift it out, as I had left my net at home -IDIOT!.. Clambered onto a boat and just got my hands on it when the line snapped. 18 inches long, great condition, clean fish - amazed that it's this close to the Sea Mouth..
A great night, as he has so not been into fishing for a year or so now, whereas tonight he had so much adrenaline he was feeling sick afterwards. I would say he is Re-Hooked.. Going to fish Patterson tomorrow.. He's going to be dreaming of fish tonight..

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Mordialloc Creek Common Carp

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 pm

DMAN NZ wrote: Fish was so bloody heavy couldn't lift it out, as I had left my net at home -IDIOT!
This. Always. Happens. To. Me.

And when I remember the net - I never get a bite! :doh1:
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

biggar

Post by biggar » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Lip grips are a good alternative to a net because they are much smaller and easily fit in a backpack
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

DMAN NZ

Post by DMAN NZ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:08 pm

:r Action shots below..
Attachments
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:18 pm

I've noticed over the years that carp are getting closer and closer to the saltwater.

You can sort of expect them around the mouths of creeks near the saltwater when the tide is going out , as the outgoing tide draws the freshwater down the creek more towards the entrance anyway.

Over the last few years though I have noticed them even on incoming tides around the mouth of creeks , where the water would be very saline.

As a tupong, eel, barra , list goes on / freshwater fish that go to sea to spawn, if a carp is considered one of the most 'hardy' fish that can even live on the banks out of water for hours etc, then it wouldn't surprise me at all if they could actually survive in saltwater, they thrive in areas where 'saltwater spawning' fish live / maybe they are starting to take a liking to it a bit these days ?

I hope not though, it's bad enough pulling carp out of freshwater ways; I'de hate to see them start populating the oceans ( if it is possible ? ) .

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

biggar

Post by biggar » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 pm

They might taste alright if they live in saltwater

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:40 pm

lol , although not many saltwater fish without teeth, not sure how long they would last. Maybe it could become the cousin of the gummy shark being the "Gummy Carp" :icon_lolz:.
Would be an interesting experiment to throw a small carp into a saltwater fishtank, see how it goes ?.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

biggar

Post by biggar » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 am

When most people eat carp they complain about a muddy taste, if they live in saltwater that may go away

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:19 pm

biggar wrote:When most people eat carp they complain about a muddy taste, if they live in saltwater that may go away
But then the carp would destroy the environment if saltwater fish species aswell as freshwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Master-pro wrote:
biggar wrote:When most people eat carp they complain about a muddy taste, if they live in saltwater that may go away
But then the carp would destroy the environment if saltwater fish species aswell as freshwater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They wouldn't be stirring up as much mud as it would be sand, holy crap just imagine like a 40kg carp towing a boat :titanic:
Cam :icon_lolz:
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”