Mordialloc Pier

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
craigaus

Mordialloc Pier

Post by craigaus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Hello Fishorians everywhere,
Well today i decided to try my luck at Mordialloc Pier i arrived at 11am had a look around noticed a tuck shop "nice i thought" had a look and check markers for water level grabbed my things and did the confident walk along the pier.
Here is me overcast,wind blowing 20-30 kmph rain but still walking proudly till i got to the end where all i see was these super rods and reels types that could haul in a boat lol.
Look over at my fellow fishorians and just said hmmm think i have the wrong rod lol.
They just looked anyway i set up for anything and let this all mighty cast go with the wind behind me it went for miles waited for the drop of the sinker the took off the slack and waited and waited and checked bait still there and waited.
I stayed there till 3.15 pm as i noticed these menacing dark clouds approach no bites nothing looked around and the same all over .
I left dissapointed but not beaten no way till next time i said now my mind is flat out with all sorts of set ups to try and different times.
Even if you dont catch a thing never dispare think of what you should do next time then go do it.
Cheers
Craigaus
Take it as it comes win some lose some

Ploh

Re: Mordialloc Pier

Post by Ploh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:49 pm

craigaus wrote:walking proudly till i got to the end where all i see was these super rods and reels types that could haul in a boat lol.
Look over at my fellow fishorians and just said hmmm think i have the wrong rod lol.
*sigh* story of my fishing life. no one ever says anything to me but I guess it's probably because that way they don't have to worry about me out fishing them for anything but seaweed.

Good on you for sticking it out in this dreadful weather.

craigaus

Post by craigaus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks ,
Well your not on your own hey but in time the fish gods will smile on us and bang we will never look back luck and skill is whats needed and we my friend have to just keep at it .
I guess thats what i love so much about fishing every spot is different ,every spot teaches you something more each time.
I carry a little note pad with me and record as much as i can atm thats all the time in world lol.
Cheers
Craigaus

kaotay

Mordialloc Pier

Post by kaotay » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Guys don't worry about the guys with the big rigs.
7 ft 2-6kg rod, 4000 size reel with 20lb mono is plenty.
With skill, you can land them on less.

And the looks on their faces will be all the more sweet if you catch and they don't.

Had this happen many times. Unfortunately I was the one with the big rod watching the kid with the kmart rod haul a Red in. Worse, he just took my spot after I scored a donut and was still packing up. Cast where my rod had been 2 minutes earlier and 5 minutes later a big Red.
:P
Enjoy the sport and upgrade slowly as you learn...

Ploh

Post by Ploh » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:35 pm

kaotay wrote:Guys don't worry about the guys with the big rigs.
7 ft 2-6kg rod, 4000 size reel with 20lb mono is plenty.
With skill, you can land them on less.

And the looks on their faces will be all the more sweet if you catch and they don't.

Had this happen many times. Unfortunately I was the one with the big rod watching the kid with the kmart rod haul a Red in. Worse, he just took my spot after I scored a donut and was still packing up. Cast where my rod had been 2 minutes earlier and 5 minutes later a big Red.
:P
Enjoy the sport and upgrade slowly as you learn...
Oh man, perfectly put! I think sometimes a bit too much emphasis is placed on gear but I guess each to their own.
I've been to a tackle shop for some help and brought in some cheaper braid only to be asked in a seemingly condescending tone 'shopping at k mart have we?'.
K mart fishing gear is more than adequate in my eyes for majority of fishing situations and they stock some decent rods like Penn and sell big-named SPs cheaper than anywhere else!

Also, can you use mono with SPs? I've always wondered if mono was for bait only and braid + fluorocarbon was for lures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

craigaus

Post by craigaus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:26 pm

To true seen that done before the old hand line pulls up a fish rods nill lol .
I just find it amusing that and its the older men that are the worst to just stare at you , it was my first time there but they all look quiet pretty in their matching color ski outfits clambering together at the end of the pier i counted 15 rods in the water and six i think were at the end .
But i wasn't worried what they thought i just noticed and like everything just take a note of it .
Upgrading oh yes you have to admit some of them reels sound really nice when they cast and return building slowly for sure deterred not me im to stubborn but thanks anyway for the support.
And let me just say talk about hooked at work i suggested a nice fishing day out, well i couldn't believe how many guys at my work actually fish and are members of clubs .
Just mentioned it to one bloke at work and so many have come back t me and said what a great idea lets organize lol now that blew me away cause i worked with these people for years and never knew.
Fishing does it again.

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”