Targeting bream

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
Sputnik22

Targeting bream

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi, newbie here.

I was hoping for some advice on targeting bream on Mordy pier and Patterson river. What's the best set up for your line? I prefer using bait, so what bait? When is the best time - I have been trying either side of the high/low tide.

I have seen a few guys there landing massive bream with great frequency. One guy showed me he was using fresh shrimp he said he'd caught at Patterson lakes. Any advice on this? I would love to catch some of these, because the bream were just slaughtering them.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers.

Fish-Hunter

Re: Targeting bream

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:11 pm

:welcome: Bream are very slow growing fish , so big Bream are best returned back to continue living as breeding stock . Being your first post to the site , tell us a bit about yourself "introductions" ussually come first .

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm

MIKER wrote::welcome: Bream are very slow growing fish , so big Bream are best returned back to continue living as breeding stock . Being your first post to the site , tell us a bit about yourself "introductions" ussually come first .
I would call myself a sometimes recreational fisher. I really love it and as I have some time on my hands, I am spending a bit of it locally looking for some good fishing. The bream seem to be a good one to target off Mordy pier. I have caught my fair share of flathead over the years, the occasional snapper. The highlight of my fishing career was definitely in the NT in a small boat in the Arafura sea. Caught all sorts of massive gamey fish there, giant trevally, queen fish, etc. etc.

I'm am pretty inexperienced, but a quick learner.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Thanks for letting us know a little about yourself , up north has some exellent fishing . The key to Bream fishing is use light line 6 to 8lbs line , light sinkers size 0 or 1 , use a size 1 bait keeper hook or long shank , peeled prawns are good when you cant get live bass yabbies . ;)

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:28 pm

MIKER wrote:Thanks for letting us know a little about yourself , up north has some exellent fishing . The key to Bream fishing is use light line 6 to 8lbs line , light sinkers size 0 or 1 , use a size 1 bait keeper hook or long shank , peeled prawns are good when you cant get live bass yabbies . ;)

So long shank hooks? I haven't been using those. Also think I've seen people using chicken as bait? Would that be right?

Where would I get live bass yabbies?

Thanks again.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Most good tackle shops stock them , they aint cheap but deadly bait . Chicken is possibly the best all rounder "it catches everthing" .

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

i fish patterson river for bream quite alot, berley and long hours are usually required..
very light rod, 6-8lb line, light running sinker rig with 6lb flurocarbon line and a size 2-4 long shank hook.
prawns seem to work best but small crabs, small vibe lures suited to bream are things on my to try list.
have tried sandworms but then end up reeling in toadies....
apart from the by catch of toadies,Soldier fish and goby's its a decent area, pretty much caught bream every time im there, just some are undersize.
Like miker said probably best to throw them back, they are a fun fish to catch on light gear.

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:48 pm

MIKER wrote:Most good tackle shops stock them , they aint cheap but deadly bait . Chicken is possibly the best all rounder "it catches everthing" .

thanks again Miker

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Howdy - had another crack today both sides of low tide and got one nice 30cm bream. Going on the BBQ tonight with some middle eastern spices. I had anoter 2 good hook ups, one broke the line (I didn't set my drag right) and the other got off the hook. There was a good purple patch around 4pm when there were quite a few bream being caught and a few salmon as well. Will post a photo shortly.

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:34 pm

6lb?! (3kg breaking strain minus the knot strenght + fish on the water weighs much less)

Lifes to short Miker, try downgrading to 3lb! :D :tongue:

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”