Daytime

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
Azura

Daytime

Post by Azura » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

I have not been daytime fishing for awhile. Decided to head down to Mordialloc seeing as it was such a nice day today. Everyone was catching salmon (heaps of them). They were jumping out of the water every 20 mins and all the fishermen would rush to that area of the pier and throw there lines. All of them pulling up at least 2 at a time. I have never seen anything like it.

rixter

Re: Daytime

Post by rixter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Yes, Mordy to Beaumoris is known for alot of salmon. You know when they are going off when you see flocks of seagulls pecking the tops of the water for the baitfish , which the salmon are there for. Cast into the flock for a great catch. Good old 2" to 3" blue/silver metal whitebait lure , or the pure chrome sliced lures with the small red plastic tag on them. Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

how big were the salmon today? Bait size 30 cms?

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:49 pm

poodoo wrote:how big were the salmon today? Bait size 30 cms?
Usualy are , or just over , hence the old name for them - being part of the salmon/trout family , but the size of the adverage trout / 'BAY TROUT".
Old name for them amongst all the old locals who work around the waters there. Cheers
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Azura

Post by Azura » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 am

Yeah, about 30cm. The gulls were flocking like you said. I was watching everyone catch them for about 2 hours. I did not have the right lure. I did have a sliver thing with a red tail but no luck. I was unable to cast as there was no weight to it. So I rushed to the start of the pier to buy a lure. Got a blue looking thing with a bit of weight. I caught 2 but also lost 2 as I was pulling it out of the water, 2 was enough or me anyway. It was very easy to catch. Like you said just cast out to that area and bang!

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

what time of the day were they catching? might head down some time this week myself

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”