Black rock 9-9-16

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Black rock 9-9-16

Post by mazman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:05 am

Hey guys, just a quick report this time round. Fished Black rock last night hoping the strong northerly would chop the bay up and increase the activity close to shore. The wind didn’t quite have the affect I was looking for with the water looking a little choppy but not the ugly mess I like for snapper fishing. I sent out two strips of salted salmon and it wasn’t long before I was getting the tell-tale hits of an under size or just legal pinkie. This continued for the first half hour before one of them managed to hook itself on a pair of 5/0’s, after a rather lack lustre fight I had a small pinkie on the bank.
I was getting pretty constant bites but hook ups were pretty rare due to the hook size I was running but I stuck with the large bait in the hopes that there was something a little better in the mix, the small bites continued and everynow and then the rod would load up a little more and there would be another just legal pinky on the other end. I finished the night with 3 just legal pinkies landed, another one lost and countless hits.
Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

nooga27

Re: Black rock 9-9-16

Post by nooga27 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 am

Nice catch mate well done! I never expect too much from a land based pier session anymore. Recently I been fishing away from the piers, more in the random spots you can find on google earth and it's been paying off massively!

Fished two nights ago on the 7th, got 12 pinkies 30 - 40 cm in 2 hours after high tide off a little secret spot I have in Brighton. They were still biting when we left but we didn't need anymore!

They're definitely out there. In massive numbers

Tackleberry
Has liked: 298 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:24 am

Alex better than sitting at home watching the telly . how long do you salt the salmon before you freeze it

cheers TAC
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 am

nooga27 wrote:Nice catch mate well done! I never expect too much from a land based pier session anymore. Recently I been fishing away from the piers, more in the random spots you can find on google earth and it's been paying off massively!

Fished two nights ago on the 7th, got 12 pinkies 30 - 40 cm in 2 hours after high tide off a little secret spot I have in Brighton. They were still biting when we left but we didn't need anymore!

They're definitely out there. In massive numbers
Agree. There's plenty around :thumbsup:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:05 am

Cheers for the report mate. Hopefully not long now before the bigger reds start firing up!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks guys, I know a few places where there are some larger pinkies in decent numbers but i wanted to try somewhere else to try and nail a proper early season red for the comp, took a gamble and it didn't really pay off.
I'm still experimenting a bit with the salted salmon but at this stage the best way seems to be to fillet it put a few fillets in a freezer bag with a about 50g of salt tie it off and chuck it in the freezer come back a few days later and change bags and put a new 50g of salt and back in the freezer and they're good to grab next time you head out. With large salmon it is worth cutting the fillets into smaller pieces as they don't firm up very well in the middle but for the little fellas this works a treat. Have heard of some guys using pool salt which is way cheaper but also more granular and I suspect you will need more of it to counter the lower surface area, atm i'm just using homebrand kitchen salt which is about $1 a kilo.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”