Final report before layup

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
ango

Final report before layup

Post by ango » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi All,
Went out today for a final trip prior to layup, will be back in action come September, June, July & Aug are too cold for me. I headed straight to Ricketts Pt., figured the water should have cleared sufficiently for the squid to be on, boy was I wrong, after a doz drifts without a touch I gave up and headed off Parkdale where I anchored up & had a crack at the gars. They took their time showing up & when they did it was very slow, ended up with about 8 or 9, bit bigger than last week so I was happy with that. Boy was it cold on the water, even with the thermals on I was thinking to go in early but finally the sun came out and warmed me up. Also I had a crack at the pinkies with SP's & bait, caught plenty but, as always, only up to 20cm. Anyway good luck to all you winter fishermen, hopefully you will catch a few and the cold will not be too bad, if you post some good reports I may fish through next year instead of wimping out.
Cheers from
Ango.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Final report before layup

Post by ducky » Mon May 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Don't be a softy mate. Plenty of fishing to be had in the middle of winter. Nothing wrong with a bit of cold. Just chuck some more layers on.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon May 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Haha, I agree with Ducky, it wasnt that cold on the weekend at all. I spent a lot of sat morning on the water in a T-Shirt. Just layer up and you will be fine. my other passion is snowboarding, its a helluva lot colder up coronet peak in NZ mid winter let me tell you haha.

That being said, winter fishing isnt as easy as summer, still a smashing way to spend a day tho :D

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 pm

x3 I love fishing in winter just as much if not more than any other months.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 pm

X4 harder fishing is more rewarding!
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon May 25, 2015 10:31 pm

ango wrote:Hi All,
Went out today for a final trip prior to layup, will be back in action come September, June, July & Aug are too cold for me................................................................................................................................................................ Anyway good luck to all you winter fishermen, hopefully you will catch a few and the cold will not be too bad, if you post some good reports I may fish through next year instead of wimping out.
Cheers from
Ango.
Why do you 'wimp out'? No doubt there will be some medical conditions that worsen with cold weather...if you suffer from this then fair enough. If you just don't like the cold...not fair enough! :) Because of my weight problem, I prefer winter...can't handle the heat. The target species just change here in freshwater.

Natives slow down, however, the cod gurus love the colder weather as they target large cod. Trout become the target of many anglers. The impoundments that have been dropping due to irrigation commitments over the warmer months start to rise...happy times! You can annoy carp any time of the year! Am fortunate though as many places I go...I can light a fire!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 26, 2015 4:23 am

great time of the year bit cool at the start but warms up still plenty of fish and the ramps are not as crowded as ducky said layers is the way to go

ango

Post by ango » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi All,
Have arthritis & back issues, summer is my time, I never feel the heat but come winter & the aches & pains set in, I would be in Qld but for the missus.
Cheers from
Ango.

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”