Pinkies and salmon Frenzy..

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Pinkies and salmon Frenzy..

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. It was one of the best sessions I've had in a while.

Jim - the weasel is rated at 2-6kg. The reason I picked that rod this time was to able to throw a few heavier jigheads if we fished deeper water. But it kind of defeated the purpose when I used a 5lb leader. As is the same as I use with the itchy twitchy.
Howevrr the weasel is paired with a luvias 2506 as opposed to the 2004 on the itchy twitchy.. The 2506 has a faster retrieve ratio than the 2004 plus a kilo extra drag rating (which is useless some I didn't use that much drag due to lighter leader). But it Def would have made bringing the fish in a lot more harder on the itchy/2004 combo.. plus if I needed to tie on a heavier leader I knew the 14lb mainline would also be adequate. If I needed it..

Cheers

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:19 pm

purple5ive wrote:Thanks guys. It was one of the best sessions I've had in a while.

Jim - the weasel is rated at 2-6kg. The reason I picked that rod this time was to able to throw a few heavier jigheads if we fished deeper water. But it kind of defeated the purpose when I used a 5lb leader. As is the same as I use with the itchy twitchy.
Howevrr the weasel is paired with a luvias 2506 as opposed to the 2004 on the itchy twitchy.. The 2506 has a faster retrieve ratio than the 2004 plus a kilo extra drag rating (which is useless some I didn't use that much drag due to lighter leader). But it Def would have made bringing the fish in a lot more harder on the itchy/2004 combo.. plus if I needed to tie on a heavier leader I knew the 14lb mainline would also be adequate. If I needed it..

Cheers
I was using my Jew stick. a megabass orichi intimidator 4-16lb with pe1.2 and 20lb fluro on a 2508. Had one of the better bends the rods has seen in it. You gotta beef up the tackle on the heavier rod. 5lb is way too light for a 6kg stick.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:41 pm

Great session there purple! Sounds like the luvias got a work out and you got a nice feed! :-D
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:32 pm

ducky wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Thanks guys. It was one of the best sessions I've had in a while.

Cheers
I was using my Jew stick. a megabass orichi intimidator 4-16lb with pe1.2 and 20lb fluro on a 2508. Had one of the better bends the rods has seen in it. You gotta beef up the tackle on the heavier rod. 5lb is way too light for a 6kg stick.

yup, should have used the 8lb I had, but cbf tying on leaders when fish were flying out of the water right in front of me . next time ill take the 10 and 12lb for insurance, I like to fish light, but this time I shot myself in the foot I think.
do you think 20lb was too much for those fish?? I wouldn't have thought to go that high.
yes the weasel had a nice bend in it too, so did my wrist :( but I definitely tested that 5lb leader to its extreme..

shaz - yeah man I love that sound the luvias makes... part of the reason I bought the reel...

cheers

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:23 pm

i had some great sessions on the salmon at black rock, when you can't see them bubbling and the boats around you get too much troll a couple of lures away from the school always pick up just as many, also try sounding them up away from the other boats. I fished off welshpool the other day and hit several big schools of salmon we chased them and sounded them for about and hour or so and ended up with 30 thumpers and probably dropped 20-30 it was intense as and soooo much fun
Cheers Nick

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Great session !

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:04 pm

god, 30 fish, I would have passed out for sure. I struggled with 4. I should up my leader next time and put some more hurt on those fish

cheers everyone.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:00 pm

I was heading out for a bait session and threw in my Jew outfit just incase I wanted to throw plastics. But when the fish are boiling like that the hooks come off and the lures go on.

I've given up on the light tackle idea. Catch plenty of small fish on 40lb leaders as by catch while bait fishing. I prefer to be able to be able to put on the hurt. They ain't bream or trout in crystal clear water. Think I was running 14lb on the other rods.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:47 am

Yeah. I'm thinking next time I'm going 8-10lb.
I like the whole challenge of the light line hence why I use it. But this time It backfired on me lol.

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:22 pm

purple5ive wrote:god, 30 fish, I would have passed out for sure. I struggled with 4. I should up my leader next time and put some more hurt on those fish

cheers everyone.
Yep the arms were a bit sore afterwards lol, i was fishing ygk jig man 20lb (super super thin) with 20lb leader and these things were still taking drag on the 4000 ci4, my mate was using 10lb with 12lb leader and having a bit more fun so i grabbed the 2500 ci4 with 6lb/8lb leader that was good fun lol mind you most of these salmon were 45-50cm minimum so hitting a big 60 plus was ridiculous haha
Cheers Nick

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”