Pinkies and salmon Frenzy..

Black Rock, Beaumaris, Half Moon Bay, Mordialloc, Parkdale
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Pinkies and salmon Frenzy..

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Gday fellas,
another recent report from yesterday..
Got Lil Red sorted with a new sounder and an electric (which we ghetto fitted for a trial run) and headed down blackrock for a days fishing .

No sooner had we launched and headed out to see whats happening than my cousin yelled out , do you see what im seeing,, birds were working up a frenzy not far from the ramp and a few boats are already in the middle of them..
so we do what any keen fisho would have done, head straight for them, about 50m or so before getting to the school I stopped the motor and told my cousin lets try the electric, so we deploy the electric and sneak into the school...

This time im thanking my luck stars that I took the wicked weasel instead of the itchy twitchy, cause what followed was utter chaos. I rig up a squidgy flick bait in the white pearl on a 1/8th 5lb leader and send it out straight into the school, :hitit: :hitit: :hitit: a quick burn back to the boat seen the luvias screaminggggggg..

while playing the fish I see others almost breaking the water surface and flying past the boat, these fish were BIG. ive never seen anything like it before, there were multiple schools around the boat, left right and centre fish were smashing the water surface...

eventually I land the fish.
mms_img-1310317714.jpg

my cousin in the meantime is using pillies, and gets slammed as well. but he drops the fish, I tell him to try a plastic and he reluctantly agrees, on goes a gulp minnow. casts out and let it sink, told him to use the same retrieve, but before he could even start his retrieve line is peeling off, he gets to exercise his arms a bit but somehow the salmon he caught looked a bit different from mine.
mms_img1833664934.jpg
a lot of other boats quickly join in the frenzy and it was organised chaos at its best, there were people casting slugs, big plastics, bait, you name it , people were drifting, some were trolling into the school and in between all the other boats, there was even a guy on a kayak in amongst the frenzy..

the whole keeping distance between boats went out the door, boats were almost too close for comfort at some stages, and just a half hearted lob would go past the closest boat. luckily the schools kept moving so that made the boats scatter and regroup again at another point, but since there were several schools it made fishing a bit easier..

somewhere in the middle of all this mayhem, I hook into a seriously solid fish (im consoling myself it was a king and I was happy to hook into one) the luvias 2506 was crying, and the fish had some seriously long runs, and then about a minute into the fight the inevitable happened, slack like Bangg Bangg

whats worse that was the only white coloured plastic I had on hand, so I had to use gulp minnows from then. still caught them, but it was hard work
mms_img1361856404.jpg
I also end up catching a couple of snook, one which I gave to the kayak guy, the other was released, got bitten off a few times too, which im guessing were them again...

my cousin on the other hand isn't having much luck either, so he switches back to bait but not much there either, the fish were in a frenzy, and all they were interested in was the bait fish.. ( I forgot to glance at the sounder when all this was happening, it would have been chockers for sure, I could see bait fish everywhere)

I must say though, a lot of casts were involved for one fish as the fish weren't interested in what anyone was offering, all the boats were having the same issues, people were yelling out to each other wethere they were getting any, I replied to a few of them to use smaller plastics.. but even with that I was struggling.....

we ended up with 4 salmon all of which were released, (fish ranged between 50-55cm and were built like tanks, nice solid shoulders) these fish were seriously good fighters and def stretched my tiny palms and forearms. the frenzy moved away from us further and further, so we decided we would try for some pinkies instead, so we started to put the new sounder to the test..

we motored around for about an hour or so randomly stopping at small promising patches until this happened.
mms_img-1405045498.jpg
from then on, it was chaos all over again. it was a pinkie a cast, most just under legal size, and amongst them some nice fish to 39cm
mms_img-1191556747.jpg
we used the electric to hover around the area, while not the easiest, it was far better than the drift anchor we had before
4 boats got in on the action..

ended the day with more than 20 fish caught per person with only the legals taken.
mms_img-2096911265.jpg
cheers for now...

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Pinkies and salmon Frenzy..

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Great report sounded like mayhem I love it when that happens

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Haha I was out there too. It was farking crazy!

My 3yo boated his first fish on a lure completely solo. Hooked a pinky and fought it all the way to the boat. Little champion.

Those salmon pulled like freight trains too. Boiling up all around the boat.
Last edited by ducky on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Nice one steve! Sounds like an awesome session!

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:42 pm

Nice report. I need a boat

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 pm

i was out there it was great fun we got 6 salmon and 1 snook and 5 squid

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:56 pm

cheers fellas, yes was super chaotic, I loved every minute of it..

micheal - that super awesome for the lil man landing his first fish, proud dad moment indeed, cant wait for mine to come fishing with me when he is old enough..

I was so busy with the fishing forgot to see who else was around..

I was quite easy to spot being the only small Red Tupperware boat in the area...
after we had finished we had a chat to a few guys at the ramp who had a few questions about the whole polycraft thing.. and then a couple of older greek gentlemen also asking the same thing anyone from here???

cheers

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Wow.
great read, sounds like you all had a ball !!!
CF

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:59 pm

He has caught a few fish (squid, flatty, bream and now snapper) these days. But the one I'm speaking about was hooked fought and boated all without me helping him.

When he hooked a salmon later and it nearly ripped the rod out of his hands he got a bit worried lol. Those salmon were fighting hard. My biggest was 53cm.

I was out on the water at 5pm. Launched at mordy.

Never seen fish boiling so casually. Most salmon schools I've seen go down when you motor around them. These were unfazed by anything.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 pm

ducky wrote:He has caught a few fish (squid, flatty, bream and now snapper) these days. But the one I'm speaking about was hooked fought and boated all without me helping him.

When he hooked a salmon later and it nearly ripped the rod out of his hands he got a bit worried lol. Those salmon were fighting hard. My biggest was 53cm.

I was out on the water at 5pm. Launched at mordy.

Never seen fish boiling so casually. Most salmon schools I've seen go down when you motor around them. These were unfazed by anything.

too good man... I would be pumped if I were you too.. he is well and truly hooked by now, if he wasn't already hahaha
yes the fish were like bullets through the water, even all the boats trolling around (specially the guys in the double hull) didn't phase them..
im not surprised with the salmon, even I struggled with the bigger fish on that light gear, my hands (palms from the pressure exerted by the rod, and forearms) are still in pain, both my palms have swollen up loll.. the biggest I got went 55cm, I reckon the one busted off was bigger but never landed it to confirm..
I gave up on them when they went near the pier, there was people still chasing them though. I reckon you must have missed me,
see one of the pics of mine have a big boat behind me, if you were there when that boat was around then we were fishing the same areas, timing is about right though.

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”