Re: My 3rd go at Mordy Pier

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:32 pm

didnt know that
see the forum is very informational

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

i should point out that the sea runs here barely leave the river where as uks sea runs go ou to sea and only ener the river to breed.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:06 pm

CarlG wrote:
Andoki wrote:the sea trout maybe another name or very close to the aussie salmon family i guss

Nope. Some brown trout, (Salmo Trutta) do migrate to and from the ocean, they then become sea trout, or, sea run brown trout. They are in no way related to Aussie Salmon, (Arripis Trutta), which are a relative of the mullets..The confusion of names is due to early Australian settlers of British origin, who gave names to Aussie native animals that were reminiscent of the names for similar looking european species..
How the hell a murray cod looks anything like it`s atlantic namesake is beyond me though..
Carl..
Rainbow trout can also be sea run, the place for these is down at Warrnabool or Tasmania. There maybe some streams that have a small population of searun trout, but I suspect those with the knowledge will keep it very quiet.

Once the Snowy river has been up and running, there will some huge trout to be caught there.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am

if you fly to new zealand they get sea run chinook salmon in large numbers. they are the only salomonoid to be self supporting from sea runs out of their natural range.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm

mazman wrote:they are the only salomonoid
at least something comes cheap these days - letter O..... cheaper by the dozen, buy one take 1 too, free shipping. :roflmao: :crazy:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Reddahaydn

Post by Reddahaydn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

australian salmon as stated about also called bay trout. if you'd thrown a little silver lure in while the school was there I reckon you woulda pulled in close to 30. we got onto a school at fergos pier in march and pulled in close to 40. (released alot of them) they were on the lure as soon as it hit the water.

Jurppa

Post by Jurppa » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:18 am

Hey all, I know this thread is a little old. But would mordialloc pier still be good around this time of year for Aussie salmon? And which way and how far out should I be aiming?

Thanks

shooto

Post by shooto » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am

Jurppa the Salmon can be a hit and miss affair at mordi as they move around alot in the bay
usually the birds working in and around the water is a good indication if and when they are around
couple of moths back i caught the bag limit of them it was hot session from the end of the pier when the salmon is on you have people jumping around like jackrabbits

all the best

Jurppa

Post by Jurppa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 am

Thanks shooto

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:58 am

I met a friend this weekend who showed me some great pictures of snappers (4 or 5 of them cannot remember) have been caught from Mordialloc pier the last 2 weeks, so I guess it is still working, but you still need to work the timing and weather well

Return to “Black Rock to Mordialloc”