Snapper report 21/10/18

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Sinsemilla

Snapper report 21/10/18

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:28 pm

I went for a look on Sunday at a couple marks of mine to see if there were any snapper around. I started off sounding along the channel in around 10m off Brighton and in no time at all I found some solid marks.

I anchored ahead of them, set a few rods and by the time i started chopping up pillies for burley my uncle was on to a solid fish!

The fish was taking some really solid runs with big handshakes but after about a minute the line went slack.. we were gutted. The hooks just didn't set. We hung around for another hour catching good sized flatties to 45cm on plastics but no more snapper.

I moved to another spot and sounded up some more fish in about 12m but no joy.

We ended the day with a troll around Altona catching some good sized salmon.

It was my first attempt on the snapper this season so I'm not all that upset we lost a good fish. Its good to know i still got it after giving the past 2 snapper seasons a miss. My hopes are up for the rest of the season which looks like it should be a good one.

Cheers, Anth

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Snapper report 21/10/18

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Unfortunately that lost fish may have put others off. It was a good move to move on and sound up a different lot of fish, but I'm guessing by that stage they may have shut down for the morning. Good effort mate for your 1st for the season. Have heard some good reports in 16-17m off blackrock, and in depths from 6m off Sandringham if it helps. At least you had fun and come back with a feed. Gotta be happy mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Nice report Anth.
No snapper but at least you got a feed of some nice size flatties and some salmon as well.
Bad luck with the big fish. Hopefully the hooks will set next time and you will come back with a nice bag of reds.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Kaspar

Post by Kaspar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Awesome report :)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:04 am

Great report Anth....what time were you out? (I was out at lunch time in the same area for the turn of the tide, but my little deckie wasn't too happy with the swell and had to pull the pin before we could find any anything on the sounder)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:17 am

Redhunter wrote:Unfortunately that lost fish may have put others off. It was a good move to move on and sound up a different lot of fish, but I'm guessing by that stage they may have shut down for the morning. Good effort mate for your 1st for the season. Have heard some good reports in 16-17m off blackrock, and in depths from 6m off Sandringham if it helps. At least you had fun and come back with a feed. Gotta be happy mate.
Cheers mate. That's exactly what i was thinking.. or it may have been a bigger fish just roaming on his own. There's always next time hey!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:19 am

Mattblack wrote:Great report Anth....what time were you out? (I was out at lunch time in the same area for the turn of the tide, but my little deckie wasn't too happy with the swell and had to pull the pin before we could find any anything on the sounder)
Was on the spot just after the sun came up. I think it was around 7ish? I wanted to get out earlier but unfortunately i love my sleep!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 am

Lightningx wrote:Nice report Anth.
No snapper but at least you got a feed of some nice size flatties and some salmon as well.
Bad luck with the big fish. Hopefully the hooks will set next time and you will come back with a nice bag of reds.
Cheers :thumbsup:
Cheers mate. I was actually surprised with how many good sized flatties we got. Flatties over snapper on the plate anyday!

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”