Spearfishing at brighton

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Snapper222

Spearfishing at brighton

Postby Snapper222 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Anyone been spearfishing off/ around brighton pier, is it worth a dive?

Remove these ads.

Mattblack

Re: Spearfishing at brighton

Postby Mattblack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 am

I reckon there would be a lot of fishing lines to contend with....I'd be interested to know though as the kids are finally getting interested & I need to find some good spots around that area (I've been taking them around Black Rock/Ricketts, but they freak out when we start heading out too deep)

Tim399

Postby Tim399 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm

A safe area to dive and spear is the reef at millers road in Altona. There’s lots of life there to look at, I have seen pinkies, bream, flathead, salmon, mullet, goatfish, calamari, garfish and snook there with most of them being seen in less than 2m water. Haven’t done there in 3 years but from the kayak it seems to be growing more grass weeds which should mean more life :thumbsup:

Mattblack

Postby Mattblack » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Tim399 wrote:A safe area to dive and spear is the reef at millers road in Altona. There’s lots of life there to look at, I have seen pinkies, bream, flathead, salmon, mullet, goatfish, calamari, garfish and snook there with most of them being seen in less than 2m water. Haven’t done there in 3 years but from the kayak it seems to be growing more grass weeds which should mean more life :thumbsup:

Thanks Tim..just googled that, might be in with a chance for a whiting there too I reckon

Tim399

Postby Tim399 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:02 am

It is a nice spot, with beaches either side of the reef if the rest of the family doesn’t want to dive and the shops in the Main Street aren’t far away. I used to avoid this spot during or after an onshore blow as it makes the water fairly dirty. Good luck

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”