The Epic Line Tangle Incident of 2017

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
TheGreatestGoat

The Epic Line Tangle Incident of 2017

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Plan was to go out last night but weather turned and postponed until this morning before work. Launched at willy at 4 and burned over to fawkner beacon. Plenty of boats but mainly past the beacon to the south. Decided to have a sniff around to the east. Found a good single fish hard on the bottom and decided to drop pick, was moving up wind of the mark and the sounder just starts lighting up. 1, 2, 3 snapper then a huge Christmas tree. So mark up again and anchor in amongst it.

Get the rods out and start burlying up. Nothing for about halfa. Waiting out for first light as I know I’m on top of a lot of fish and that’s when I found they have been biting. As soon as the sky starts taking on a pink tinge, 3 out of 4 rods buckle over at exactly the same time. So I’m like need a game plan here. I figure I’ll make sure hooks are set on each then put them back in the rod holders and keep fingers crossed.

Grab the first rod and realise something is not right. The snapper have done rings around each other and the lines are a tangled mess. Frantically trying to untangle everything but not getting very far. One of the braided lines touches the prop and pops straight away. Down to two. The tangle is pretty bad, and come to the realisation that if I try and salvage both I might end up with none. So make the executive decision to cut one off. So after all that end up with one fish of 3kg. Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

Re-rig all the rods and fish for another hour but didn’t turn another reel.

All-in-all a bit frustrating, but at the same time was awesome to see 3 rods go off at once , definitely a first for me.

Cheers,
Goat

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: The Epic Line Tangle Incident of 2017

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Nice work mate, well done shame the lines tangled otherwise could have bagged out.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Well done mate. That’s part of fishing. At least you still ended up with a nice one :thumbsup:

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Just the luck of the draw, I did the same thing last friday night and they all went different directions and got all three, 5kg, 4.5kg and 3kg. Dont know what else you could have done really :(

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Ateast you got out on thw water for a littlw hile and didn't come home empty handed

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Great read I was expecting the standard ray story bad luck on only bagging one

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:01 am

Not fishing with out a tangle here or there is it?

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”