Brighton Pier

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Desperate Guy

Re: Brighton Pier

Post by Desperate Guy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Kosta7 wrote:
Desperate Guy wrote:Should I try to whip out the bait into the bay or just chuck it far enough for a bit of distance between the wall? Thank you all for your advice!
There is a really nice video on YouTube how to work the plastics at Brighton pier for flatties.
Ah yes ive seen pretty much every single fishing video related to ppb on YouTube. What I was referring to was casting distance when bait fishing. Thanks anyway :victory:

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Fishing is hit and miss sometimes mate, even when im there some days and everyones catching except for me and some other rarer days i will be getting onto a few while others turn donuts. Just get out there and have a good crack, thats what fishings about the fish is just a bonus. On a side note i saw some good fish landed off mordialoc pier recently in the evening on full tide. Goodluck

Desperate Guy

Post by Desperate Guy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Kenle wrote:Fishing is hit and miss sometimes mate, even when im there some days and everyones catching except for me and some other rarer days i will be getting onto a few while others turn donuts. Just get out there and have a good crack, thats what fishings about the fish is just a bonus. On a side note i saw some good fish landed off mordialoc pier recently in the evening on full tide. Goodluck
Thanks, what were they getting off mordi?

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:07 pm

Gars, salmon and small flatties. Bream at start of pier with some small mullets too on float

Kenle

Post by Kenle » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Gars, salmon and small flatties. Bream at start of pier with some small mullets too on float

Desperate Guy

Post by Desperate Guy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:44 pm

IMG_1499.JPG
Went from 2:00pm to 5:30. One decent salmon with a big story.

Here’s how it went...

(Start of the break wall, into the marina)

I loosen my drag and place my rod (extremely light running sinker rig, small hook, tiny bait, less than a centimetre) into a crack in the rocks. I start climbing up to check on my other rod. Within a minute, my rod goes sliding into the water and gets dragged about 2-3m into the water. We start panicking and rush to try hook my rod with the other ones. The rod stays still for about 5minutes until we hook onto the line and I get a hold of it. To my surprise, the fish was still on! I begin freaking out worrying about keeping the line tight as I carefully pull it in. About 5m from the rocks, the fish does this huge jump and the line goes slack. My hopes were pretty much gone. I retrieve my rig and magically it’s still on. We’re able to land the fish but my rod is still in the water with just loose enough drag to not be able to be pulled up but let a fish pull it away :down: . Luckily my friend is willing to climb in and get it for me. Then it turns out that my reel was stuck between some rocks. After some strenuous effort we’re able to get it out. :cheers:

1 fish but quite a fun out. Didn’t see any other fishos catch anything. Quiet day

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 am

Desperate Guy wrote:
IMG_1499.JPG
Went from 2:00pm to 5:30. One decent salmon with a big story.

Here’s how it went...

(Start of the break wall, into the marina)

I loosen my drag and place my rod (extremely light running sinker rig, small hook, tiny bait, less than a centimetre) into a crack in the rocks. I start climbing up to check on my other rod. Within a minute, my rod goes sliding into the water and gets dragged about 2-3m into the water. We start panicking and rush to try hook my rod with the other ones. The rod stays still for about 5minutes until we hook onto the line and I get a hold of it. To my surprise, the fish was still on! I begin freaking out worrying about keeping the line tight as I carefully pull it in. About 5m from the rocks, the fish does this huge jump and the line goes slack. My hopes were pretty much gone. I retrieve my rig and magically it’s still on. We’re able to land the fish but my rod is still in the water with just loose enough drag to not be able to be pulled up but let a fish pull it away :down: . Luckily my friend is willing to climb in and get it for me. Then it turns out that my reel was stuck between some rocks. After some strenuous effort we’re able to get it out. :cheers:

1 fish but quite a fun out. Didn’t see any other fishos catch anything. Quiet day
Nice one mate. Sounds like you were lucky to get it!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am

The bait fish school is back and they are thick. You should have tossed lures. The salmon is a schooling fish and in the northern part of ppb, they come in big numbers.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am

Well done. But i think you can kiss that reel goodbye now as it will corrode soon unless you have washed it in freshwater when you got home..

Desperate Guy

Post by Desperate Guy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Fish-cador wrote:The bait fish school is back and they are thick. You should have tossed lures. The salmon is a schooling fish and in the northern part of ppb, they come in big numbers.
I was casting squigdies around without luck until the salmon came, then I tried metals both on the inside and outside of the break wall. I couldn’t stand the constant waves and dragging my lures tediously over rocks so I spent my time on the marina side.

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”