Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

LB Red

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Well its been sometime now since I put up a report so decided to write one.
As many of you are most likely doing at this time of the year, my mate and I have been on the hunt for a Red from the land first before the boating begins.
He had already been on multiple trips starting from early September without much success except for the odd pinkie here and there. I only just started going recently and last night was my 3rd attempt at a red.
Being a week night and short on time we just decided to go local so we wouldn't have far to drive home afterwards.
We reached our destination later than usual at around 9:30 and set up. I only used 1 rod with 2 double 4/0 gamagatsu hooks with a whole pilly on it.
My mate used 2 rods with a whole pilly on one and a slimy mackerel strip on another.

First hour was very quiet without a touch. It was a very calm evening and not much was happening.
Then as we were just sitting down talking my mate notices my rod tip moving slightly. Then again. Nothing much just a very subtle bite.
It happens a few times and so I decide to go check my bait. Reel in and just the tail end left where I had 2 half hitches.
We both think its odd and wonder what it could have been. Anyway I re-bait and cast another whole pilly in the same spot.

Not long, probably 5 minutes after we notice the same thing happening on my rod! I wanted to know what it was so quietly grabbed my rod and held it. I felt a small bite and desperately wanted to know what it was so striked and I was ON! The strange thing is initially it just felt like a dead weight and I thought it may have been a large banjo. I could definitely feel some decent weight on the end of my rod but no tell tale signs of it being a red until I started getting a few lunges. Still I wasn't convinced that it was a red. I have caught these ones in the past and they usually put up a decent run or 2 at the start of the fight but not this time.
About half way through the fight though my gut was telling me that it was a red and I told my mate to go and grab the net.
I was right! The night was so calm and as I brought it in close it splashed a few times on the surface but still a bit far out to see what it was.
As I got it in closer we both got a glimpse of it and yes it was a nice red.
It took a couple of dives as it neared us but luckily the fish was hooked well so into the net it went.
A quick measure of the fish put it at 61 cm.
I have caught much bigger ones in the past but it had been awhile since I had landed one LB and so it put a smile on my face.
To top it off I caught the fish on my Mrs Birthday! She was a bit jealous but I told her I'm sure she will get hers soon!

Red2.jpg

Red3.jpg

Cheers,

LX.

ante552

Re: LB Red

Post by ante552 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:03 pm

Nice red mate.
Im jealous now
Im fishing at this moment with nothing around!!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Great report...happy birthday Mrs Lightningx!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Good one.

HBD to M****n.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Good start to the season

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:00 pm

well done and a great fish landbased.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm

ante552 wrote:Nice red mate.
Im jealous now
Im fishing at this moment with nothing around!!
Thanks mate! Good luck with the fishing :thumbsup:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:39 pm

:victory: Fair fish that,,,well done !!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:26 pm

Mattblack wrote:Great report...happy birthday Mrs Lightningx!
Thanks mate. We are celebrating now with a few drinks and dinner later tonight :P

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 pm

nice fish buddy it was sort of the same at brighton the other day rod tip tap tap tap but nothing cast out again 20 mins later good run but no fish went to the other side of the pier nowhere to sit the rod so just say and held the rod tap tap strike fish on

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”