Sea Lice

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
Texas
Rank: Snapper
Rank: Snapper
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: Sea Lice

Postby Texas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:41 pm

Kenle wrote:Geezus, if they are the same sea lice as the ones from Queenscliff then i wouldnt be surprised. Had a silver whiting on a squid prong too deep few times there and when i inspected the bait there was literaly bones and dozens of these creepy lice things falling off it like in scary movies. I only know of 2 types of lice, the greeny onesnthat are flat n hang on seaweeds and the ones from queenscliff that are more like maggots and slice through bait like silverfish through cloths. Getting chills from this


Good theme for a movie
Stay out of the water "lice"

Gra



Remove these ads.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Sea Lice

Postby 4liters » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Texas wrote:
Kenle wrote:Geezus, if they are the same sea lice as the ones from Queenscliff then i wouldnt be surprised. Had a silver whiting on a squid prong too deep few times there and when i inspected the bait there was literaly bones and dozens of these creepy lice things falling off it like in scary movies. I only know of 2 types of lice, the greeny onesnthat are flat n hang on seaweeds and the ones from queenscliff that are more like maggots and slice through bait like silverfish through cloths. Getting chills from this


Good theme for a movie
Stay out of the water "lice"

Gra

There's already a movie along those lines.
2015/16 Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Texas
Rank: Snapper
Rank: Snapper
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: Sea Lice

Postby Texas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:43 pm

4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:
Kenle wrote:Geezus, if they are the same sea lice as the ones from Queenscliff then i wouldnt be surprised. Had a silver whiting on a squid prong too deep few times there and when i inspected the bait there was literaly bones and dozens of these creepy lice things falling off it like in scary movies. I only know of 2 types of lice, the greeny onesnthat are flat n hang on seaweeds and the ones from queenscliff that are more like maggots and slice through bait like silverfish through cloths. Getting chills from this


Good theme for a movie
Stay out of the water "lice"

Gra

There's already a movie along those lines.


Only you would know

Wolly Bugger
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3809
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Re: Sea Lice

Postby Wolly Bugger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

bilby wrote:Hmm, there's something odd about this story. Yes, sea lice will strip a flesh bait in no time, but has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone before? They are super common in Port Phillip Bay - if they were a problem, wouldn't some of our flounder fishers have reported this kind of issue? Some beaches are commonly covered in these things, but do they really attack humans in this way? Interesting if so.


If you are after flounder, some people will wear waders, and they are also moving around, not standing still. So I suspect the lice are less likely to attack, unless you walk into a big group/swarm of them.

User avatar
4liters
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3913
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

Re: Sea Lice

Postby 4liters » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Texas wrote:
4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:
Kenle wrote:Geezus, if they are the same sea lice as the ones from Queenscliff then i wouldnt be surprised. Had a silver whiting on a squid prong too deep few times there and when i inspected the bait there was literaly bones and dozens of these creepy lice things falling off it like in scary movies. I only know of 2 types of lice, the greeny onesnthat are flat n hang on seaweeds and the ones from queenscliff that are more like maggots and slice through bait like silverfish through cloths. Getting chills from this


Good theme for a movie
Stay out of the water "lice"

Gra

There's already a movie along those lines.


Only you would know

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bay_(film))
2015/16 Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Texas
Rank: Snapper
Rank: Snapper
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 am
Location: Hoppers Crossing

Re: Sea Lice

Postby Texas » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:09 pm

4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:
4liters wrote:
Texas wrote:
Kenle wrote:Geezus, if they are the same sea lice as the ones from Queenscliff then i wouldnt be surprised. Had a silver whiting on a squid prong too deep few times there and when i inspected the bait there was literaly bones and dozens of these creepy lice things falling off it like in scary movies. I only know of 2 types of lice, the greeny onesnthat are flat n hang on seaweeds and the ones from queenscliff that are more like maggots and slice through bait like silverfish through cloths. Getting chills from this


Good theme for a movie
Stay out of the water "lice"

Gra

There's already a movie along those lines.


Only you would know


Next you'll be telling me that cows you've artificially inceminated will turn on you.
Udder madness

Gra

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bay_(film))



Remove these ads.

Bayrock
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:26 am

Re: Sea Lice

Postby Bayrock » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Mystery solved
And yes, anticoagulant in the bites probably

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-0 ... fmredir=sm


Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests