locating gars

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
parizza

locating gars

Post by parizza » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am

Hey Fishos,

Don't know if any of you keen anglers have noticed a small little rocky outcrop just south of Brighton pier i was just hoping someone outhere has fished it or may know about it, i'm desperate to locate a half descent gar spot in northend of PPB without having to fish side by side on a jetty, infact as I recall its directly opposite park st. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Paul

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: locating gars

Post by fishingvic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 pm

that spot does hold gars as do the rock groynes further south towards Hampton....

....however, the gar fishing has been quiet lately due to a certain other red target species.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:00 pm

fishingvic wrote:that spot does hold gars as do the rock groynes further south towards Hampton....

....however, the gar fishing has been quiet lately due to a certain other red target species.
Have you ever caught other species from the rock groynes if they are the ones in middle Brighton beach. I was looking at google maps this morning and there seems to be deep holes within casting distance from the rock groynes. Keen to have a crack there if it is worth. Any opinions?

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:12 pm

hskim00 wrote:
fishingvic wrote:that spot does hold gars as do the rock groynes further south towards Hampton....

Have you ever caught other species from the rock groynes if they are the ones in middle Brighton beach. I was looking at google maps this morning and there seems to be deep holes within casting distance from the rock groynes. Keen to have a crack there if it is worth. Any opinions?
pinkies, squid and the occasional KGW..

and plenty of snags!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:48 pm

speaking of gars, I went to the fish monger today looking for mackerel and the price tag on the gar dropped my jaw - $21.99 per kilo :whoh:
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

parizza

Post by parizza » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:57 pm

thanks for the insight guys. Just wonering what colour jig to use for dawn gig on the squid.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Fish-cador wrote:speaking of gars, I went to the fish monger today looking for mackerel and the price tag on the gar dropped my jaw - $21.99 per kilo :whoh:
14 bucks a kg at Vic market last week.

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 am

Gar is not only great bait for big snapper, but also it is good to eat to, and also fun to catch them.
My lovely grandson love to catch them, and we had a wonderful sessions couple of months ago from Blairgowrie pier for few days in row … there were a millions of them hanging out there for a week or so, the one can easily catches his bag limit in couple of hours or less.

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”