Sandringham breakwall, 12/01/15

Brighton Pier, Elwood, Sandringham and surrounds
ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Sandringham breakwall, 12/01/15

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

Hit Sandringham breakwall for just over an hour yesterday: 10PM to just after 11. Hadn't been there before so scoped the area out before hauling my gear. It was quiet. When I arrived a lot of people were calling it a day, leaving 4 or 5 small groups spread out along the breakwall (including some guys that'd set up a little coal-fired kettle BBQ). I made my way to the end, purely because I figured I'd find a slightly less precarious way down to the water's edge. No action whatsoever, on prawn or pilchard, for the first fifty minutes. I then had a hit on a pilchard tail. Reeled it in, expecting a toadfish, and found I'd picked up a very small (~15cm) pinky. Gave it a few more minutes but had no more bites. No one else seemed to be getting much of anything.

rogs
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Sandringham breakwall, 12/01/15

Post by rogs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing and reporting mate :thumbsup:

cheers
rogs

Whykickamoocow

Post by Whykickamoocow » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 am

Finally last night on the incoming tide a legal sized. Edible. Plate size pinkie was caught land based in Port Melbourne. True story. I witnessed it. unbelievable I know. After fishing 14 days straight from Sandringham to Web dock it was caught under the Westgate. A 35cm beast. The lead up to this epic catch is a sordid tale of disappointment and frustration mixed with sporadic, puny amounts of adrenaline fueled excitement reeling in fist sized pinkies; the occasional banjo, one flathead, an eagle Ray (which incidentally brought me back for more because it read such a wicked fight), and some monstrous ray off princes pier which was in fact a Titanic battle of man and beast for 30 odd minutes only to break off just after showing colour 10 meters from the pier.
Sandringham, Brighton, St kilda hook pier, princes pier, Webb dock breakwall.
All non productive. Squid, pilchard, pippies, chicken, bread, berley, no berley. Pre Dawn; dusk, all night. All day. Run in tide, Run out tide, high tide, low tide. sw wind se wind. Southerly, northerly; calm. Stormy.
Nothing.

passport1980

Post by passport1980 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 am

I have only had a few good sessions at Sandy. But it is still one of my favourite spots. No snags, plenty of room. Going to start flicking some plastics in the little channel there. Anyone have any lucks on SPs at Sandy Breakwall.

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”