wire trace

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
complete-anglerz-12

wire trace

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:46 pm

hi huys after being bitten off 3 times in 1 sesson I was using about 1 to 1.5 meters of wire. I was missing about 30 cm each time but what triped me out was all the nylon coat was shredded about another 30 cm above the bite off . the thing im wondering is now that I got some 400lb wire how long sould it be also fishing land base and boat on heavy spin gear
Last edited by complete-anglerz-12 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: wire trace

Post by ducky » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 pm

When you say bite offs are they biting through the wire itself? Or are you losing the whole wire trace.

Could be a myriad of things from poor knots. To not enough leader. You may need a shock leader of a heavier line then your main line. 100lb wire is pretty solid stuff for most sharks apart from big toothies

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:58 pm

yeah situation and a bit more of an explanation would go a long way here

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Must be big carp your fishing for ! :crazy: :lol:

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:31 pm

rixter wrote:Must be big carp your fishing for ! :crazy: :lol:

Cheers , Rick.
hahaha i like the funny guys
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

abzz

Post by abzz » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:33 pm

1 trick is if it's sharks that are biting u off, and you haven't got any structure around just back off the drag
Takes alot longer but it works most times

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 pm

bite of where on 1st run after some big head shakes after busting braid from tight drag I changed all my line from 80 lb to 50 to get a few more meters

rixter

Post by rixter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Obviously big sharks by the sounds of it!. Downgrading your line sounded like a no no, sounds like you need a larger reel that will hold more thicker line, and upgrade the wire trace leader thickness as you mentioned.

If your fighting the fish within the drag limits of the reel and the fish, and can't tire it out ( keeps running on you ) or busting you off. Then you need a bigger reel and thicker line so you can apply more drag to tire out the fish.

On a personal note too , I would personally be using mono for the main line , not braid , to allow a bit of stretch / although this has it's 50/50 results , it can make a lot of difference stopping a lot of breakoffs due to having some stretch in the line , but also has the downfall in deep waters making it harder to feel a bite. Also the mono is more resistant to rubbing on reefs/rocks etc.

But...as with using braid and 'big' fish bottom fishing, unless I have a very heavy line (a lot more lb rating and nearly as thick as the mono ), then I get a lot off bustoffs due to no stretch/give in the line/braid. But as with sharks from my experience, they hook themselves pretty much, so mono I prefer.

Each to their own ways, just my 2 bob. ;) .

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:58 pm

complete-anglerz-12 wrote:bite of where on 1st run after some big head shakes after busting braid from tight drag I changed all my line from 80 lb to 50 to get a few more meters

Sounds like a seal

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm

Dont stuff around 800lb wire should do the job .

Return to “Shark Fishing”