wire trace

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
rixter

Re: wire trace

Post by rixter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Brett wrote:
complete-anglerz-12 wrote:bite of where on 1st run after some big head shakes after busting braid from tight drag I changed all my line from 80 lb to 50 to get a few more meters

Sounds like a seal
It does in a way, seals are capable of biting through wire traces.
Although if your fishing for sharks in areas where sharks are, it's very unlikely it's going to be a seal as they stay way clear of sharks !

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:12 pm

rixter wrote:
Brett wrote:
complete-anglerz-12 wrote:bite of where on 1st run after some big head shakes after busting braid from tight drag I changed all my line from 80 lb to 50 to get a few more meters

Sounds like a seal
It does in a way, seals are capable of biting through wire traces.
Although if your fishing for sharks in areas where sharks are, it's very unlikely it's going to be a seal as they stay way clear of sharks !

Cheers , Rick.

:roll:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:02 am

I'd say the fault isn't in the leader as much as it is in the setup.

Personally if I was targeting sharks on 50lb braid (which I do) I'd use an FG knot or a slim beauty to 6m of 50lb mono. Tie this to a 1800mm long 80-150lb nylon coated wire trace with a 7/0-8/0 circle hook. I've been preferring the black magic kl 7/0's lately but they are also a one use item really. They rust out between sessions. I rig these the same as my mono setups. A glow in the dark game swivel protector over the hook and a green glow bead above that.

The mono gives the stretch so you don't get those shock breakages like what may be happening to you. Tying braid directly is also fraught with danger when running big drags. The knots slip under load. Better off having mono connections.

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:54 am

7 gills...

Even the big ones shouldn't give you too much grief on 12-15kg outfits. 200m of line should be plenty.

Maybe investigate your knots and setups as mentioned above.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:11 am

thanks for the info guy's I will take it all into account when I rig up next time for the toothys .

cheers luke
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Return to “Shark Fishing”