gummy fishing for the first time

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: gummy fishing for the first time

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:10 am

tr3los wrote:forgot to mention, use 60lb + leader.. u'd hate to put in all the hard work then finally get busted off by a decent fish cos you used a lighter line. remember its not about how far you fast its where you cast, where you put your bait, mate. I've caught 4.4 kilo snapper off Brighton pier with the wind absolutely HOWLING directly in my face, casted about 10 meters :\ but goes to show..
I have no dout that the wind in your face there at brighton pier was good in close
the onshore winds drive the bait fish in and the snapper follow along

But I do agree casting distance and being in shallow water should not be a problem
I've sounded the depths along the beach at Stockyard point and most that fish the left hand side would be casting into 1 - 1.2 meters of water as the channel is out of range to any caster along that side
but I've still seen plenty of fish caught off that side of the beach
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

slinga

Post by slinga » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:57 am

tr3los wrote:get yourself a 12foot surf rod mate, if you want I have heaps iv never used il give ya for like 20 bux or something (most still have the tags on them) cos I have no need as I bought a boat and don't go landbased anymore. as for a reel prob go a 6000 at least if not bigger. personally I cant stand braid on my bigger outfits, but 20lb will do the job if you what your doing. if fishing westernport use an easy rig with a 7/0 or 8/0 hook, if ppb just run your sinker to the swivel about a meter and your hook running about 70cm to keep it just off the bottom. Fresh bait will go absolutely miles for you, I can't emphasize the difference using fresh baits. anything from trevally to salmon to squid (although I cant say im a MASSIVE fan of squid), to mullet basically anything fresh with an oily greasy texture that bleeds. Eel is also a top bait but personally id go a fresh salmon fillet over a a chunk of eel. again depending where your fishing, port phillip I tend to use fillets, western port I go the chunk baits. Hope this helps mate, I remember being in exactly your shoes when I started out I wanted to master each species fishing and years later, many hours, many fishless nights and many many many dollars spent and I now almost always manage to come home with at least a feed :) just keep doing your research, keep experimenting trying different things til you find what works. One thing I found was the best way i learned was just going out having a crack, because every bloke you speak to will have different theories. e.g l'll rarely even take squid when targeting gummys anymore, a lot of guys swear by it.. Good luck, tight lines :)

P.S banana prawn is a dynamite gummy bait ;)

+1

Pretty much gave you more information here than you need.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

ashhroyan

Post by ashhroyan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks heaps for that guys was great information am heading to coronet this weekend so I shall keep that in mind

Return to “Shark Fishing”