gummy fishing for the first time

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
slinga

Re: gummy fishing for the first time

Post by slinga » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Maybe have a read of this and I'm sure it will answer all your questions plus more...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5516" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

anth2013

Post by anth2013 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Dano wrote:
slinga wrote:Half pilchard??
2/0 circle??
After heavy rain??

:crazy: :???:
dont they come in to feed on the stuff washed into the bay? im still new so please forgive me
Any heavy rain doesnt do anything for gummys at all,all flush come from stormwater drains is full of rubbish like papers,woods,any unwanted insects so on,gummys are bottom feeder never raise to the top of the surface apart from other sharks like grey nurse ,bronze whaler,mako etc,only at times when have heavy rain water flush into the bay will be dirty do attract snapper they love it but not all the time its depending feeding times and in peak season. :super:

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 am

my advice on land based gummy fishing is go when the weather is good, the water calm so that the water is relatively clear. beaches like gunammta or beaches like coronet bay in western port are good places. go around sunset to spin for fresh salmon for bait. cured eel is a good bait too. also fresh crab makes good bait. do a google each on how to set up a crab for bait. banana prawns is another great bait for gummies. look for the gutters to cast the bait into. i usually use a running sinker rig or a pulley rig when fishing for them. a 4000 reel may be a little small for surf fishing. if you hook into a ray or big gummy you mill more than likely be spooled quickly.
good luck on your first attempt.

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:20 am

Where are your thoughts on heading Ash? you've set yourself a fair task, but don't be disheartened if you dont get one first crack. I know lots of people who had to trial and error for a long time before cracking one. Shoot me a PM with some details and I'll do what I can to help :)

ashhroyan

Post by ashhroyan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:my advice on land based gummy fishing is go when the weather is good, the water calm so that the water is relatively clear. beaches like gunammta or beaches like coronet bay in western port are good places. go around sunset to spin for fresh salmon for bait. cured eel is a good bait too. also fresh crab makes good bait. do a google each on how to set up a crab for bait. banana prawns is another great bait for gummies. look for the gutters to cast the bait into. i usually use a running sinker rig or a pulley rig when fishing for them. a 4000 reel may be a little small for surf fishing. if you hook into a ray or big gummy you mill more than likely be spooled quickly.
good luck on your first attempt.

I do intend on coronet bay as I've got a holiday house up there which is handy, but am also unsure of any spots being that Beach is so shallow didn't think I'd get anything there

will definitely be trying the salmon and cured eel but will also look into the crab

I do have a 8000 reel with crap line so I will be changing it to some good 20lb braid at the least
cheers mate
Longshot wrote:Where are your thoughts on heading Ash? you've set yourself a fair task, but don't be disheartened if you dont get one first crack. I know lots of people who had to trial and error for a long time before cracking one. Shoot me a PM with some details and I'll do what I can to help :)

coronet but would Also try a few other spots
no I know it's a bit of a mission but I do have a mindset of getting nothing which is sortve good
yeah Im gonna use this as a learning curve really

I will do cheers for that

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

I do intend on coronet bay as I've got a holiday house up there which is handy, but am also unsure of any spots being that Beach is so shallow didn't think I'd get anything there

will definitely be trying the salmon and cured eel but will also look into the crab

I do have a 8000 reel with crap line so I will be changing it to some good 20lb braid at the least
cheers mate

coronet but would Also try a few other spots
no I know it's a bit of a mission but I do have a mindset of getting nothing which is sortve good
yeah Im gonna use this as a learning curve really

I will do cheers for that[/quote]
ive seen gummy in 3foot of water when i was spearfishing.

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Plenty of gummies in WPB, I've caught heaps there over the years. I know they are in PPB but I have never caught a gummy in PPB in my life :dontknow , so that must be a sign that WPB has way more gummies than PPB imo.

Land based, I have always fished them from around Lang Lang to Corinella. Stick with it and you will get one. :thumbsup:

If you persist , hit just before high tide , through high tide , and just on the outgoing..... If you did this constantly every arvo/night over a week, you will catch one for sure.
I personally like using nearly a full pilchard ( just minus the head ). 'Cheaterparts' the kayaker on here has a lot of success around this area with fresh banana prawns too I think.
Crab is good too sometimes, but i'de rather eat it , I love crab :dinner:

Good luck , cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:25 pm

rixter wrote: 'Cheaterparts' the kayaker on here has a lot of success around this area with fresh banana prawns too I think.
Crab is good too sometimes, but i'de rather eat it , I love crab :dinner:

Good luck , cheers , Rick.

I love eating Banana Prawns myself but I also love catching gummies

Rick is right on the Banana prawn as a top gummy bait - most of my kayaking mate use little else for gummies
but that is fishing the shallow muddy areas where the fish are searching for crabs

if you are down around Coronet Bay you could slide back to Grantville for the last couple of hours run up and run off - if you can get on the jetty this time of the year being elephant season
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 am

get yourself a 12foot surf rod mate, if you want I have heaps iv never used il give ya for like 20 bux or something (most still have the tags on them) cos I have no need as I bought a boat and don't go landbased anymore. as for a reel prob go a 6000 at least if not bigger. personally I cant stand braid on my bigger outfits, but 20lb will do the job if you what your doing. if fishing westernport use an easy rig with a 7/0 or 8/0 hook, if ppb just run your sinker to the swivel about a meter and your hook running about 70cm to keep it just off the bottom. Fresh bait will go absolutely miles for you, I can't emphasize the difference using fresh baits. anything from trevally to salmon to squid (although I cant say im a MASSIVE fan of squid), to mullet basically anything fresh with an oily greasy texture that bleeds. Eel is also a top bait but personally id go a fresh salmon fillet over a a chunk of eel. again depending where your fishing, port phillip I tend to use fillets, western port I go the chunk baits. Hope this helps mate, I remember being in exactly your shoes when I started out I wanted to master each species fishing and years later, many hours, many fishless nights and many many many dollars spent and I now almost always manage to come home with at least a feed :) just keep doing your research, keep experimenting trying different things til you find what works. One thing I found was the best way i learned was just going out having a crack, because every bloke you speak to will have different theories. e.g l'll rarely even take squid when targeting gummys anymore, a lot of guys swear by it.. Good luck, tight lines :)

P.S banana prawn is a dynamite gummy bait ;)

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:20 am

forgot to mention, use 60lb + leader.. u'd hate to put in all the hard work then finally get busted off by a decent fish cos you used a lighter line. remember its not about how far you fast its where you cast, where you put your bait, mate. I've caught 4.4 kilo snapper off Brighton pier with the wind absolutely HOWLING directly in my face, casted about 10 meters :\ but goes to show..

Return to “Shark Fishing”