Gummy Fishing Combo set ups

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Gummy Fishing Combo set ups

Post by raco09 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:21 am

ducky wrote:
raco09 wrote:
ducky wrote:I use 10-15kg spin outfits. I was very nearly spooled by a gigantic ray last Saturday night. We caught 3 gummies in the sub 4kg range but this ray took me nearly down to steel on 50lb and a qtr turn off locked drag on a 10,000 saragosa. I tested the drag after the fish and it would have been around 7kg of drag. There's no way I could have put this force on with a cheaper outfit.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Ducky did you manage to bring the ray up, or did you have to cut line?
It took about 30 mins but I got him boat side. Wing gaffed it and got the hooks out. Vicious bloody tail on this one too.

I don't know if this link will even work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/91sgspkm391ai ... 0%20AM.mov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good effort mate. Well done :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:51 pm

drift100 wrote:Caught a 25-30kg gummy about two weeks ago on a 6-10kg rod, sustain 6000 with 20lb powerpro,60lb leader, whole setup worked great, had it in the boat in around 15mins from 12m of water, dropped another earlier on a 10-15kg setup so couldn't really tell the difference

i pulled a 30kg gummy up from 40mt in bass strait on a 6 to 8kg snapper rod with a 4000 size spinning reel
bloody hard work, my arms were shaking after that for hours
i rather it on my 10 to 15kg rod and the abu 7000

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Has anyone got any photos of these so called 30kg gummys? It's not a term that should be thrown about lightly.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 pm

ducky wrote:Has anyone got any photos of these so called 30kg gummys? It's not a term that should be thrown about lightly.

I found evidence of a 30kg gummy.......

http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx? ... k,%20gummy

I see it claimed often and I disregard it often.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm

I would suggest for the boat combo you'd want an 8-15kg 6-7 foot rod and a solid reel to hold 250m of 30lb line. I'd suggest a Penn Spinfisher 750-950 paired with a penn spinfisher rod. Add in line and it should cost under $150.
http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shiman ... nly-99-95/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd have the 850SSM and SSM 701 10-15kg rod.

For a surf combo, you would need a minimum 11 foot rod length and similar weight ratings. Reel can again be capable of holding 250m of 30lb line. I'd go for another Penn Spinfisher because they can tolerate a bit of salt and knocks and here's another budget combo with a Penn surf rod. Either of the two choices would suit your needs very well.
http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shiman ... urai-line/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should note that I am not biased towards fishing brands, just Penn are reliable in the salt, especially the spinfishers.

slinga

Post by slinga » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:04 am

ducky wrote:Has anyone got any photos of these so called 30kg gummys? It's not a term that should be thrown about lightly.
People just make up random numbers, a lot of these so called 30kg Gummy sharks would be lucky to be 20kg.
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

slinga

Post by slinga » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:06 am

This is a genuine 30kg...
Attachments
IMG_9332.png
IMG_9332.png (230.75 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:15 am

Slinga mate that's a monster!!!!!!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

slinga

Post by slinga » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:38 am

GTSHoon wrote:Slinga mate that's a monster!!!!!!
Cam
Not my fish, a mates from a while back.

Return to “Shark Fishing”