game fishing knots

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
complete-anglerz-12

game fishing knots

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:35 pm

will be targeting some toothy's on my trip out now just wanting to know a few knots thats will good for joining 50lb braid to 120 lb fc leader i use a fg knot for soft plastics will it hold
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: game fishing knots

Post by bowl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:11 am

No idea,i just wish had a boat bigger enough to go gamefishing.
hope somebody can help ya out.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:17 am

Solid or hollow braid?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 am

I use the fg knot on my popper rod, 50lb braid 100lb leader same as guys chasing gt's. When chasing sharks I normally use my 30 or 50 outfit platted double with a wind on.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 am

according to http://handlinefishing.com/howtofish/knotsrigs/fgknot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; its a good knot no no chance i could do it,

on my 10kg rod i run 30lb braid and use a a double uni knot
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/double-uni-knot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on my 24 kg rod i run 60lb braid and a 300lb wind on leader

the ind on leader has loop at the start of leader so i tied a loop in my braid http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/knots/cordloop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and looped them together

to check my knots i tie one end up to the trailer and lock up the drag or max the drag and then hold it with your hand and walk backwards till till the knot is well and truly out of the guides of the rod,
if the know holds and runs though the guides easy, knot will hold

hope this helps

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:09 pm

No wire trace??

I'm not a fan of wind-ons, so I use a long double tied with a plait and then tie on a quality ball-bearing snap swivel with a cats paw. Then it's an easy connect to a wire trace.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I like the wind on you can change the strengh to what you are chasing 150lb tuna 300lb marlin 400 to 500 sharks. Thats just the wind on then we crimp a snap swivel rating appropriate to the wind on so we can attach either the lure, livebait rig or wire trace.note I run hard body lures off the wind on snap swivel.also check out the albright knot for braid to mono

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Fg knot will work a treat, have used it on 50lb braid to 150lb leader and 80lb braid to 200lb leader popping for gt, and 50lb braid to 80-100lb leader for yellowfin tuna and big Spanish macs, has never pulled if tied properly.
Tight lines = Good Times!

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Nude up wrote:I like the wind on you can change the strengh to what you are chasing 150lb tuna 300lb marlin 400 to 500 sharks. Thats just the wind on then we crimp a snap swivel rating appropriate to the wind on so we can attach either the lure, livebait rig or wire trace.note I run hard body lures off the wind on snap swivel.also check out the albright knot for braid to mono
You can also change the strength of leader in the setup I described, it just means that you only need a single (longer) leader connected to the snap (i.e. no leader behind the snap, just double). Wind-ons work perfectly well for most scenarios, but in my case I like to target big fish on light line - I usually fish 8kg line class - meaning there is much less room for error.

Essentially the reasons I prefer not to use wind-ons are:
1. Windons have a few more connection points (knots) which increases the risk of a failure. In my opinion, the less connection points between reel and fish that you can get away with, the better.
2. The extra bulk reduces the overall line capacity of the reel. I've come close to being spooled a couple of occasions (600m+ of line out), but have got the fish back to the boatside both times. Line capacity is helpful sometimes.
2. They can get jammed in the top of the reel frame if there not fed onto the reel properly. This seems like a simple task, but it's easy to do when you've got the fish of a lifetime near the boat and the adrenalin is kicking in. And sometimes you only get one gaff shot, and you don't want to miss that opportunity after 2hrs fight time because the reel jammed. Much better to have a deckie grab the trace as soon as it's in reach and lead the fish to the gaff.

There relatively minor reasons, but you only get one shot at the fish of a lifetime, so I prefer to minimise risk as much as I can before I go gamefishing.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Good reasons but we prefer the shorter leader so you have less line to trace once the wind on is on the reel it can't get caught on anything a 200kg plus marlin at the side of the boat that decides to give it one last effort the trace man can be confident when he lets go the trace will not get snagged.
I am keen to hear how you go on 8kg thats a good effort

Return to “Shark Fishing”