Where's a good spot for gummies? or mako's

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Where's a good spot for gummies? or mako's

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi all

im after a bit of recent advice with shark fishing

i was wondering if anyone know of any gummys and mako's been caught from boats in the last 2 weeks and if there willing to share a spot or too

in night/ early morning best?

i live in bayswater and normally launch mornington or rye in PPB or haistings of stoney point in WP and can travel about 60nm in the boat return. but less if i can help it is best lol

cheers ricki

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Where's a good spot for gummies? or mako's

Post by Scraglor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Plenty of gummies in WP, Hell, I have caught gummies off Mornington. For Makos I would think you're gonna have to go out into the straight. Ive never targetted them before though, so someone else might have a better idea.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:21 pm

90 Mile beach for the big fella's mate. Gummies you can get just about anywhere.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 pm

ive tried fishing for gummys last 2 tries in westenport, down near flinders with no luck
my mate caught a port jackson and 3 big banjo's, a quick weight and then were near 8kg then returned

anth2013

Post by anth2013 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 pm

smile0784 wrote:Hi all

im after a bit of recent advice with shark fishing

i was wondering if anyone know of any gummys and mako's been caught from boats in the last 2 weeks and if there willing to share a spot or too

in night/ early morning best?

i live in bayswater and normally launch mornington or rye in PPB or haistings of stoney point in WP and can travel about 60nm in the boat return. but less if i can help it is best lol

cheers ricki
To fish for gummies go to rye fish near shipping channel near dark right throughout its perfect not far from rye ramp to the channel hardly spend alot of petrol only about 1 km out or bit more ,for wpb i dont fish gummies there,all gummies are most caught at nightime,not much in any daylight,makos i have known caught off barwon head not far from port phillip head not need to be far out from offshore but becareful watch freak waves can be unexpected if going to ocean :nicefish!:

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:52 pm

my experience with gummies in wpb is from the beach or the kayak around coronet bay. if in the kayak i just use the sounder to find dropoffs and anchor up right on the dropoffs. berley up with pilchard cubes and use banana prawn, eel, or crabs for bait. i have found the crabs to be the best bait. i have caught them on salmon or trevally or pilchards also. i usually find them in 4 or 5 meters of water in wpb. i rarly go any deeper than that.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Balnarring - Point Leo area is fishing well for gummies from a boat at the moment. I believe there may still be makos out around the shank also.

MattypVic

Post by MattypVic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:09 pm

A mate and I were out a couple weeks ago and got this one not far from the stony point peir.
Just get out and have a go.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:26 pm

If your looking for gummies in ppb try the edge of the channel east of mud island. In wpb the edge of any channel morning or night you will find them . As for mako's depending on the size of your boat out of wpb is the easiest as soon as you hit 70 mt in depth start berlying. I prefer wpb eastern entrance san remo end out towards pyramid rock

Return to “Shark Fishing”