Shoreham / Point Leo

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Lost Pom

Shoreham / Point Leo

Post by Lost Pom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Afternoon folks,

Thinking of trying my dwindling luck at one of the above beaches over the weekend. Has anyone fished either with any success in the past?

I did have a punt at Shoreham about 6 weeks ago, but having lost two rigs in as many casts to the weed monsters, I gave up hope (plus Brett murmered something along the lines of "f**k this, I'm off to the rocks!") Kinda hoping that early spring may have resulted in a weed exodus?!

Suppose any information would be of benefit really - targetting gummy sharks in particular though due to a recent baron run (bar a draughtboard or two) anything would be nice! :grin:

Cheers boys,

Rich.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Shoreham / Point Leo

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Thats a tough one, but I would more likely go to Pt Leo. Like you I lost a bit of gear at shoreham.

Beno

Post by Beno » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Point Leo and Balnarring are the best places to go exploring for new fishing grounds. Shoreham and Merricks seem to hold the weed monsters :bat:
My Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/BenosFishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; How to - Garfish/Float Rig
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/pages/BenosFis ... 213?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Had a couple of goes at Merricks - been fortunate enough to avoid any significant weed but only managed to land couple of those mental cat sharks things :whoh: - I reckon point leo is my preferred option atm :Dribble:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:29 pm

you get weed once in a blue moon at Merricks, it's a boring place to fish though as if the gummies aren't around, you sit there for hours with not even a nibble. I'm yet to catch banjos, port jackson, draughtboards or stingrays there. Leads to a very boring night.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm

I have been on a two person charter with a certain big thinking mob.

One of their gummy marks is very very very close to Shoreham Beach.

We landed 3 in two hours :thumbsup:
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Lost Pom

Post by Lost Pom » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:24 am

Having had today to myself, i made the trip to point leo last night..... Full moon, high tide at night, no wind to speak of - can't go wrong can ya? Anyway. Fished in front of the life savers place about 50/100m to the left. Nothing. Not a nibble. I did hit some industrial sized weed about an hour before high tide which grab one of my lines and snared the other on retrieve - both rendered completely useless so had to re-rig. First cast - bang - another fridge sized lump of weed - rig gone. Walked 50m to the left were it was a touch calmer nearer the rocks - first cast, thirty seconds, boom, weeded again, another rig gone. Gutted.

Was probably the first real time I've hated fishing. Like genuinely hated. I've had many issues with weed in the past (woolamai in particular) but been able to deal with it - but having drove all the way, sat through 4 hours of a run in with nothing, not even weed (just tiny surface stuff) then the final hour when I was getting all excited, it was taken from me Bangg not impressed :sad:

Ah well. Thankfully both rods survived the ordeal so I may give the sharks a miss for a while and try for something a little redder :water:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:56 pm

^^
It can get frustrating dealing with weeds & no fish . :angry:

Return to “Shark Fishing”