rig help

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
complete-anglerz-12

rig help

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 pm

hey guys im just not sure if i run a wind on leader from my braid then a rig or not because of the stronger tides in western port . any help would be great
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: rig help

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Heres my rig. I run 2 different gummy outfits, a 6-12kg tcurve with an 8k saragosa and 30lb braid. and a 10-15kg tcurve with a 10k saragosa and 50lb braid

Mainline braid 30-50lb. Slim beauty to 4 metres of 40-50lb mono as a shock leader. Then your standard westernport rig, ezy rig on shock leader with the metal clip removed, replaced with roughly 300mm of 15lb mono as a sinker dropper, ball bearing swivel, 80lb jinkai leader, 8/0 circle and a glow bead.

I'm currently experimenting with 100lb wire on the 10-15kg outfit simply to fish it side by side with mono to see if gummys will take it, and in the hope that when the toothies are about we will finally get one boat side. Been bitten off probably 40 times in the past 3 years on westernport after big runs. Enough is enough. I want me a bronzie/schoolie. I've fished twice with wire so far. One trip boat donut. the next 2 gummys from 4 rods, one came on wire.

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I'd personally fish a 20lb braid to a 30lb windon, run a wire trace after that if you need. 50lb braid seems really really excessive. I have 30lb braid on my thresher and kingie outfit :o

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

got twoset up as a charter special and a 10 - 15 kilo rod 30 lb braid and 1 meter of mono 60 lb then 30 cm of wire with a glow plastic on it to a 9/0 inline circle hook if i hook up it sould not be lost i think just not sure if i change or not
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:51 pm

FishSamFish wrote:I'd personally fish a 20lb braid to a 30lb windon, run a wire trace after that if you need. 50lb braid seems really really excessive. I have 30lb braid on my thresher and kingie outfit :o
When you say wind-on do you mean a true windon or a shock leader attached by means of a braid to mono knot

Reason for the 50lb braid. It fit.

Why put 300m of 20-30lb braid on and need 100+m of mono backing when you can grab a spool of 50lb. Put 10m of mono and then watch as it swallows up 300m anyway. The 10k is a very nice sized reel. The same body size as the 6k. So there's only negatives in going to the smaller reels. You're only costing yourself line capacity. Hence I picked the 10k for my heavy bait outfit.

I've had this argument before. But simply. Why gear up for 90% of the fish you can catch on an outfit when you can gear up for 99%? It's hardly finesse fishing in 25m of water with 20oz of lead due to the current. If and when that 100kg bronzie grabs hold I'd rather have 300m of 50lb on the reel over 300m of 20lb.

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:39 pm

I am some what confused as to why you would require a wind on leader to fish for gummies, is there a need for a knotless join considering the weight you will require to get your baits to the gummies, if so would you not need a join knot any way to a swivel or something similar????
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm

ducky wrote:
FishSamFish wrote:I'd personally fish a 20lb braid to a 30lb windon, run a wire trace after that if you need. 50lb braid seems really really excessive. I have 30lb braid on my thresher and kingie outfit :o
When you say wind-on do you mean a true windon or a shock leader attached by means of a braid to mono knot

Reason for the 50lb braid. It fit.

Why put 300m of 20-30lb braid on and need 100+m of mono backing when you can grab a spool of 50lb. Put 10m of mono and then watch as it swallows up 300m anyway. The 10k is a very nice sized reel. The same body size as the 6k. So there's only negatives in going to the smaller reels. You're only costing yourself line capacity. Hence I picked the 10k for my heavy bait outfit.

I've had this argument before. But simply. Why gear up for 90% of the fish you can catch on an outfit when you can gear up for 99%? It's hardly finesse fishing in 25m of water with 20oz of lead due to the current. If and when that 100kg bronzie grabs hold I'd rather have 300m of 50lb on the reel over 300m of 20lb.
land based or boat?
50lb is really really excessive in my opinion. for snapper I often use 6lb to 10lb now, with a 20lb windon, so I'd feel comfortable with 20lb for gummies and 30lb for bronzies
but completely personal preference. I feel comfortable going really light. if it's reefy, fish mono, or a longer windon.

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 pm

thats my boat based outfits, fishing westernport anywhere from the entrance up to the north arm.

Do you fish westernport? Both bays are polar opposites. In Port phillip you can fish unweighted with light gear. In westernport you need outfits that will be able to deal with the weights required to hold bottom in the tides. I agree that 50lb is overkill as a breaking strain. But I'm targetting that large fish these days. I've caught plenty of the 4-7kg gummies, my pb being 11kg. I want a 20kg+ and I'm geared up that I won't have failures like a 2m shark rolling itself up in the leader and popping the line.

That and every 5th fish is an eagle ray when bait fishing for gummies and snapper. 6lb-10lb braid is just laughed at by these fish which will just motor away and will simply spool you as you watch your line disappear. I've had it happen on a 6000 sized reel with 250m of 15lb mono in my early days of fishing westernport. I was taken to steel twice by a large eagle. Managed to boat it after chasing it for 400 odd metres lol. At one stage just as we got the anchor up I had less then 15 wraps on the reel.

Paul, i think he means a shock leader. not a windon.

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm

complete-anglerz-12 wrote:got twoset up as a charter special and a 10 - 15 kilo rod 30 lb braid and 1 meter of mono 60 lb then 30 cm of wire with a glow plastic on it to a 9/0 inline circle hook if i hook up it sould not be lost i think just not sure if i change or not
extend that to 4 or so metres. 1m metre of mono in an otherwise unstretchable rig won't give enough shock absorption

have a read of this http://bigtimefishingcharters.com.au/wp ... me-Way.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 pm

ducky wrote:
Paul, i think he means a shock leader. not a windon.
Got it thanks.

For me I just use 2 8kg fast overhead rods teamed with TLD15's and loaded with 30lb braid, I have yet to be spooled by anything. I also have a couple of 6500 bait runners I use in Westernport but I am afraid all of that gear is a bit dusty. I can not remember the last time I soaked a bait.

My rig consists of braid with easy rig (clip removed and a dropper of about 60cm tied on for sinker) then a good quality crane swivel, a 3 meter leader of 60lb depending on tide and a single 8/0.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Return to “Shark Fishing”