Non wire rig for toothies

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
PhilN

Non wire rig for toothies

Post by PhilN » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Hi all,

Tried a new gummy spot but kept getting bitten off by toothies. Rig was 80 pound trace with 8/0 circle.
Ild like to go back and verify what they were (1st was almost certainly a 7 gill but the others went hard) but still be rigged for gummies.
Any recommendations on a non-wire rig that gives a good chance with toothies?

Hosery

Re: Non wire rig for toothies

Post by Hosery » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:50 pm

If your fishing whole baits try and bridle your bait with a circle hook. Still have a chance of getting bitten off though but better odds than whacking it in the bait.

I no it’s wire but works on fish sensitive to wire. I like to use a snelled rig with a light bit of wire only the length of your baits. Crimp or tie the wire to the gape of your first hook. Than connect your first hook to your main line normally. Bury your wire in the bait as best as possible. This way if a shark grabs the bait in the middle you will still stay connected.

Or you can try the old ganged hook rig.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Plastic tubing over your leader, 80-100lb leader, and use INLINE Gamakatsu Circle hooks, not sure if you're already using those or not, but you can only hook a fish in the corner of the jaw with them, more chance of landing.

Lots of gillers about, and a few bronzies too. Give it a go mate

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm

You’ll still catch gummies with wire. First trip out for toothies we used 200lb wire and the first fish we got was a gummy

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 pm

100lb leader and put a fair length of tubing on top of hook even a heap of lumi beads on top of the hook might work. Also inline circles are a must

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:33 pm

Hosery wrote: If your fishing whole baits try and bridle your bait with a circle hook. Still have a chance of getting bitten off though but better odds than whacking it in the bait.
That bridle baiting whole baits sounds like a great idea. Allows the Circle Hook the best opportunity to do it's thing and get caught in the corner of the mouth.

I admit I used to chock up the hook (bigger bait-bigger fish thing) with hook covering amounts. Lost a few hookups that way. Once I started to only pin the bait by a little (even if it was a big bait) the hook-up rate rocketed PLUS corner of the mouth stuff most times too. This was for snapper but same principle as bridling to expose the hook and getting in the corner away from nature's perfect line cutting teeth

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:02 am

STriplett1997 wrote:Plastic tubing over your leader, 80-100lb leader, and use INLINE Gamakatsu Circle hooks, not sure if you're already using those or not, but you can only hook a fish in the corner of the jaw with them, more chance of landing.

Not sure if the bolded is exaggeration or not but I jaw hook plenty of fish without inline circles

My recent toothy (hammerhead) was just a regular gamakatsu 8/0 circle

Edit: I think I misinterpret your post as the only hook that can possibly jaw hook are inline circles. Apologies if so

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks all,
Some top tips here. I’ll give it another crack on the weekend

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:04 am

Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:Plastic tubing over your leader, 80-100lb leader, and use INLINE Gamakatsu Circle hooks, not sure if you're already using those or not, but you can only hook a fish in the corner of the jaw with them, more chance of landing.

Not sure if the bolded is exaggeration or not but I jaw hook plenty of fish without inline circles

My recent toothy (hammerhead) was just a regular gamakatsu 8/0 circle

Edit: I think I misinterpret your post as the only hook that can possibly jaw hook are inline circles. Apologies if so

Yes, I meant with that specific hook it is near impossible to gut hook a fish

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Hosery wrote: I admit I used to chock up the hook (bigger bait-bigger fish thing) with hook covering amounts. Lost a few hookups that way. Once I started to only pin the bait by a little (even if it was a big bait) the hook-up rate rocketed PLUS corner of the mouth stuff most times too. This was for snapper but same principle as bridling to expose the hook and getting in the corner away from nature's perfect line cutting teeth
I was the same when circles started becoming the in thing I gave them a run and hated them. I used to load the hook and wonder why I missed so many fish. Went off them till I learnt to use them properly. Now they are basically all I use for all my fishing. Once you learn to pin the bait only in the corner etc and not strike circles will be your friend.

Return to “Shark Fishing”