Vic Hislop shark hunter documentary

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
denis barden

Re: Vic Hislop shark hunter documentary

Post by denis barden » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 am

Never had any time for this guy.
Always got his head on the telly when a shark was caught or someone bitten.
He never used any scientific info/data on sharks it was always-Kill Kill Kill
His latest U Tube talk -Looks like hes made a pretty good living out of Scaring people
Last reported death from a shark attack in Victoria was 60 years ago

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 am

I saw his display years ago when I was in Hervey Bay.. was not very impressed I must say, his attitude of the only good shark is a dead one left a bad taste in my mouth. Not what modern anglers need at all.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am

He was a byproduct of that era, he did nothing illegal at the time, perspectives change over time as witnessed in this era, where by everything revolves around conservation. Who knows in another 30 to 50 years fishing may be seen as unwarranted ? therefore no need to capture them. Never say never the future is not set in stone.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:35 pm

hornet wrote:He was a byproduct of that era, he did nothing illegal at the time, perspectives change over time as witnessed in this era, where by everything revolves around conservation. Who knows in another 30 to 50 years fishing may be seen as unwarranted ? therefore no need to capture them. Never say never the future is not set in stone.
Bingo! Couldn't have said it better myself.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I grew up in the era. Most people out on the water in the 60s where returned sailors from the war. They had been sent into the Pacific and found hell in paradise. There were many stories of shipwreck sailors floating around and getting slowly picked off by large sharks. People of the time hated them. When I first went commercial trawling in the early 70's there were often dozens of very large sharks swimming around the boat when we had fish on the deck. They were attracted to the blood and juice running of the deck. We regularly shot or caught them with large hooks baited with a flathead. At the same time beaches were netted so that tourists would come to coastal towns. Commercial sharkers who chased gummies and school shark would regularly catch large sharks and everyone of them where shot even if they were not the type to go to market. Things change. The numbers where rapidly depleted. Some of the reason for low shark attack numbers on people are because the numbers are down. So now when the beaches are no longer netted and sharks are protected we still have low numbers of attacks. However just like the crocs they are making a return and every year there are more and many are getting bigger. The time may well come in the future that there are many more attacks and I bet if it does the public attitude changes again.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Neckermann

Post by Neckermann » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Vic Hislop interviewed two years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf3fQtU9_Wo

:o_0: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 am

Entertaining interview and point of view on sharks. As I said earlier a byproduct of the era, set in his ways by a life time of believing in something, even to this day ... be it right or wrong.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 am

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... -25715092/ These war survivors were the adults when I was a kid. Most hated Japanese and sharks with a similar passion. Vic is of the same era and a product of it. It is an interesting part of our history.

I swim in the ocean regularly and except I swim with sharks at times. I consider it a low risk as compared to driving to the beach or riding a motorbike. There is no need to kill them these days and hunting down sharks that supposedly are killers is just stupid. However if sharks breed back up to numbers that they were originally, swimming may become a high risk activity and future generations will have to deal with that in the way they feel is appropriate.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Shark Fishing”