New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
User avatar
crumpet_avenger
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:16 am
Location: rowville
Contact:

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:01 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:I use snelled hooks when fishing fillet baits like salmon couta and yakkas. single hook for chunks. smaller chunks catch more desirable fish. bigger chunks attract rays and banjos in my experiences.
im usually getten itchy feet to start on the snapper this time of year.. but I haven't landed a decent snapper until October. I have more success on gummies down the western entrance


Cheers for that. Heard western entrance tide rips through quite hard, maybe not the best place for a beginner in WPB or ?


West entance goes through like a train. Ive had 24 ounces of sinker on and still not held. But if you have experience and learn to fish an hour either side of the tide its fine. Long way to go to do that. Thats why you need to learn other areas to fish in between tides or fiah with housebricks....

For what you wanna do though i agree straight out from yaringa in about 40 ft of water. Sit back and take in the sights of wp. Big breeder gummies get up that way. Its the weed and rock cod that sh*ts me



Remove these ads.

User avatar
STriplett1997
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 pm

cobby wrote:Very easy to get in and out of yaringa except for low low tides. Once out of the channel it's wide open from eagle rock to lysaughts with only the middle spit to really worry about.
Sinkers? Get some sort of divided container that fits in your side pockets and load up with every size from 1oz up to 24oz and use what suits on the day.
Rigs? Snelled twin hook rig for things like pilchards or other things like that, larger single (8/0) for strip baits.
Don't get to hung up on what the reports say. You're in arguably the best water straight out of the Marina


that gives me confidence, thank you mate!

User avatar
STriplett1997
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:I use snelled hooks when fishing fillet baits like salmon couta and yakkas. single hook for chunks. smaller chunks catch more desirable fish. bigger chunks attract rays and banjos in my experiences.
im usually getten itchy feet to start on the snapper this time of year.. but I haven't landed a decent snapper until October. I have more success on gummies down the western entrance


Cheers for that. Heard western entrance tide rips through quite hard, maybe not the best place for a beginner in WPB or ?


West entance goes through like a train. Ive had 24 ounces of sinker on and still not held. But if you have experience and learn to fish an hour either side of the tide its fine. Long way to go to do that. Thats why you need to learn other areas to fish in between tides or fiah with housebricks....

For what you wanna do though i agree straight out from yaringa in about 40 ft of water. Sit back and take in the sights of wp. Big breeder gummies get up that way. Its the weed and rock cod that sh*ts me


awesome, thanks bud. Assume the way to go is finding a drop off in that sort of depth range and sit in the drop and wait? :water:

cheers!

User avatar
crumpet_avenger
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:16 am
Location: rowville
Contact:

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm

I used to sit in about 42 - 45 ft of water on an outgoing tide. The little fish come off the bank to the medium fish and the medium fish go out to enjoy their catch when bang!
Either a big gummy, snapper or couta takes them out. Got my biggest couta from there on a live bay trout.

Like i said though. The weed is bad. Especially after all these windy days. All the best. Let us know how you go.

User avatar
STriplett1997
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I used to sit in about 42 - 45 ft of water on an outgoing tide. The little fish come off the bank to the medium fish and the medium fish go out to enjoy their catch when bang!
Either a big gummy, snapper or couta takes them out. Got my biggest couta from there on a live bay trout.

Like i said though. The weed is bad. Especially after all these windy days. All the best. Let us know how you go.


hopefully its not terrible. calm - no wind over the weekend, hopefully by sunday it eases. cheers mate, will do!

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2059
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby cobby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
cobby wrote:Very easy to get in and out of yaringa except for low low tides. Once out of the channel it's wide open from eagle rock to lysaughts with only the middle spit to really worry about.
Sinkers? Get some sort of divided container that fits in your side pockets and load up with every size from 1oz up to 24oz and use what suits on the day.
Rigs? Snelled twin hook rig for things like pilchards or other things like that, larger single (8/0) for strip baits.
Don't get to hung up on what the reports say. You're in arguably the best water straight out of the Marina


that gives me confidence, thank you mate!


This is the map. That patch of blue amongst the white middle right is eagle rock, with lysaughts just west of bouy 35. Quail bank is literally turn left out of yaringa channel and you're there. Tyabb bank is turn right. Middle spit is that large green bit of mud bottom left. If you hear long reef, it's that bit of water just south west of eagle rock heading towards lysaughts. The lysaughts mark/s is the general area from in front of the pier to the start of long reef. Squid and Whiting in all the blue coloured water when the snapper or Gummies aren't playing

Image



Remove these ads.

User avatar
STriplett1997
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:16 pm

cobby wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
cobby wrote:Very easy to get in and out of yaringa except for low low tides. Once out of the channel it's wide open from eagle rock to lysaughts with only the middle spit to really worry about.
Sinkers? Get some sort of divided container that fits in your side pockets and load up with every size from 1oz up to 24oz and use what suits on the day.
Rigs? Snelled twin hook rig for things like pilchards or other things like that, larger single (8/0) for strip baits.
Don't get to hung up on what the reports say. You're in arguably the best water straight out of the Marina


that gives me confidence, thank you mate!


This is the map. That patch of blue amongst the white middle right is eagle rock, with lysaughts just west of bouy 35. Quail bank is literally turn left out of yaringa channel and you're there. Tyabb bank is turn right. Middle spit is that large green bit of mud bottom left. If you hear long reef, it's that bit of water just south west of eagle rock heading towards lysaughts. The lysaughts mark/s is the general area from in front of the pier to the start of long reef. Squid and Whiting in all the blue coloured water when the snapper or Gummies aren't playing

Image


Very helpful, thanks! Is that navionics app??? Looks good. Will be fishing 11am - 6pm, having incoming tide and tide change around 4ish. Hopefully a gummy strikes.

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 2059
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby cobby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Yep that's navionics. Just as an aside, the dotted line that runs past the number 11 starboard marker up the top of the picture is the marine park boundary. It's shallow up there anyway but best to just avoid that area all together

Wolly Bugger
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3986
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby Wolly Bugger » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:30 am

STriplett1997 wrote:G'day,

Just bought a 5m half cabin, that im mooring at yaringa harbour, stoked! Ready for the upcomming season :thumbsup:

im fairly new to westernport boating & fishing, only fishing it twice on boat with one time getting lucky on some gummies and pinkies around tortoise head bank :-D but that was awhile ago. i've done some research finding some known spots for gummies & snapper but just want some direct advice etc. Was thinking about giving the channel along tyabb bank towards Lysaghts and Lysaghts itself a go on sunday. What oz sinker is usually the go here? will be using fresh salmon for bait in strips from the fillet, not sure whether to do snelled hooks or single gama circle for a hang bait? chunks will be too big imo, will also have pillies & frozen squid onboard. any advice around that area or anywhere else at this time of year is appreciated, cheers!

not asking for secrets just some direction :water:


There is a fishing club at Yaringa

User avatar
STriplett1997
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Postby STriplett1997 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Not sure whether to do fillet or chunk baits of salmon. If I do chunk baits they will be about 8/9cm in length, I feel fillets won't last as long in the water though. Any advice????



Remove these ads.


Return to “Shark Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest