New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:50 pm

G'day,

Just bought a 5m half cabin, that im mooring at yaringa harbour, stoked! Ready for the upcomming season :thumbsup:

im fairly new to westernport boating & fishing, only fishing it twice on boat with one time getting lucky on some gummies and pinkies around tortoise head bank :-D but that was awhile ago. i've done some research finding some known spots for gummies & snapper but just want some direct advice etc. Was thinking about giving the channel along tyabb bank towards Lysaghts and Lysaghts itself a go on sunday. What oz sinker is usually the go here? will be using fresh salmon for bait in strips from the fillet, not sure whether to do snelled hooks or single gama circle for a hang bait? chunks will be too big imo, will also have pillies & frozen squid onboard. any advice around that area or anywhere else at this time of year is appreciated, cheers!

not asking for secrets just some direction :water:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: New boat-WPB gummy/red advice appreciated !

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Sinkers range from 2oz when theres no tide running and 10oz + when big tide running

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 pm

I use snelled hooks when fishing fillet baits like salmon couta and yakkas. single hook for chunks. smaller chunks catch more desirable fish. bigger chunks attract rays and banjos in my experiences.
im usually getten itchy feet to start on the snapper this time of year.. but I haven't landed a decent snapper until October. I have more success on gummies down the western entrance

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:05 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:I use snelled hooks when fishing fillet baits like salmon couta and yakkas. single hook for chunks. smaller chunks catch more desirable fish. bigger chunks attract rays and banjos in my experiences.
im usually getten itchy feet to start on the snapper this time of year.. but I haven't landed a decent snapper until October. I have more success on gummies down the western entrance
Cheers for that. Heard western entrance tide rips through quite hard, maybe not the best place for a beginner in WPB or ?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 pm

ive never fished the area on my own before, but from ive seen and heard. the place is very tidal and you need to know where you are going otherwise you can be stuck in mud until the next tide comes through.
make sure you have a working gps system since you are new to the area. theres quite a lot of mud flats that can be dangerous if your not paying attention.
you will need heavy sinkers, and rods to match both for casting/lobbing the sinkers and also to handle the bycatch, same with the lines and leaders.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

purple5ive wrote:ive never fished the area on my own before, but from ive seen and heard. the place is very tidal and you need to know where you are going otherwise you can be stuck in mud until the next tide comes through.
make sure you have a working gps system since you are new to the area. theres quite a lot of mud flats that can be dangerous if your not paying attention.
you will need heavy sinkers, and rods to match both for casting/lobbing the sinkers and also to handle the bycatch, same with the lines and leaders.
Are you talking about the north arm from yaringa and lysaghts or the western entrance mentioned above ^^? Cheers mate

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 pm

all over WPB mate, i would go with someone who has prior knowledge of the area first.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:47 pm

purple5ive wrote:all over WPB mate, i would go with someone who has prior knowledge of the area first.
I'm heading out at low tide for that reason with my old man, pretty sure I'll be fine with locating those types of areas. I know it's a mudpit, I have a gps and sounder too. Only way to learn is through own experience

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Very easy to get in and out of yaringa except for low low tides. Once out of the channel it's wide open from eagle rock to lysaughts with only the middle spit to really worry about.
Sinkers? Get some sort of divided container that fits in your side pockets and load up with every size from 1oz up to 24oz and use what suits on the day.
Rigs? Snelled twin hook rig for things like pilchards or other things like that, larger single (8/0) for strip baits.
Don't get to hung up on what the reports say. You're in arguably the best water straight out of the Marina

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:17 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:all over WPB mate, i would go with someone who has prior knowledge of the area first.
I'm heading out at low tide for that reason with my old man, pretty sure I'll be fine with locating those types of areas. I know it's a mudpit, I have a gps and sounder too. Only way to learn is through own experience
Bingo going out low tide is the way to go ,
Also how big of a tide will determine how hard she rips

Return to “Shark Fishing”