Location change or stick at it?

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Location change or stick at it?

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:20 am

G'day guys,

Over the past two months I've been hitting Somers Rockwall on good tides from low just before last light to high at around 11/12pm with new moon/full moon and lead up to full moon using Fresh Salmon I've caught as bait. I've had success but haven't caught my target. A big seven gill that I was stoked with and a gummy just past legal size in 5 trips, the other 3 trips donuts. I haven't caught any banjos,draughtboards or rays either which has confused me.. is this time of year not great for gummies land based? Or should I consider changing locations and seeing how it goes? I know it's hours of work just wondering if maybe I'm in an average spot? All comments appreciated

Cheers!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Location change or stick at it?

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

I think even the best gummy fishermen get a 30% strike rate or thereabouts so I'd stick with it. It's a known spot for them
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:06 am

That's a tough call mate. May be It's one of those spots that only fires on a particular part of the tide cycle, or it may be the gummies don't happen through there much at this part of the year, (though I doubt it). We've got some spots that are incredibly tide specific, and one that only fires on the turn of the low tide, and during daylight, (that took a year of working out !).
Just keep plugging away. Try squid on one bait, and a flesh bait, (like the Salmon), you've been using. I got a gummy on garfish last week, a first for me lol, so I don't think they are too fussy, just make sure your bait isn't spinning in the water, and you should be right.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 am

CarlG wrote:That's a tough call mate. May be It's one of those spots that only fires on a particular part of the tide cycle, or it may be the gummies don't happen through there much at this part of the year, (though I doubt it). We've got some spots that are incredibly tide specific, and one that only fires on the turn of the low tide, and during daylight, (that took a year of working out !).
Just keep plugging away. Try squid on one bait, and a flesh bait, (like the Salmon), you've been using. I got a gummy on garfish last week, a first for me lol, so I don't think they are too fussy, just make sure your bait isn't spinning in the water, and you should be right.

I've been jotting down the times, conditions etc etc when ive caught and or had hits. maybe i should just keep hitting it? and stick around for more of the tide change as well even tho itll be around midnight/1am.

thanks mate!

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Id change it up. Just cause fish have been caught in a spot before doesnt mean they always go there.
Its good to have more than 1 spot as well. Maybe not even too far.. pt leo is a good spot as well as balnarring.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Id change it up. Just cause fish have been caught in a spot before doesnt mean they always go there.
Its good to have more than 1 spot as well. Maybe not even too far.. pt leo is a good spot as well as balnarring.
i was thinking if i changed id move down blanarring beach and find a good area on maps, seen a few. ill be down that way for 3 nights next week

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:31 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Id change it up. Just cause fish have been caught in a spot before doesnt mean they always go there.
i was thinking if i changed id move down blanarring beach and find a good area on maps, seen a few. ill be down that way for 3 nights next week
Ive caught some nice whiting at various spots at balnarring whilst fishing for gummies before i got my boat so take a small rod as well

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I'd stick to same spot to you have cracked it ,,,,

Just more variety of baits,r u paddling baits out on yak

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Whilst your success rate is ok I would try somewhere else.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:55 pm

I fish mainly freshwater these days but even so I stick to the theory of not giving up on proven places, stick with it mate, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Shark Fishing”