Bait for landbased gummies

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: Bait for landbased gummies

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:41 pm

CarlG wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
CarlG wrote:Squid. Both fresh and frozen, got my last one on an arrow squid ring.

Seems like squid is a goer, ill try frozen if i can't get one on monday. hang bait or two hooks with the squid ring? cheers!
For gummies, most have mine have been on a single 8/0 gamma occy circle, with a squid ring.
twin 4/0 suicides are good early season when the snaps are a bit timid, and just mouth the baits.
i use 8/0 gamma too, alright cheers mate!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm

hornet wrote:How come no ones suggested the big Safeway raw prawns ? cheap and they always come up as gummy baits when asked about..

Because there was a caution put out by fisheries, due the white spot outbreak up north.
It was recommended that you don't use them, so a lot of ppl have stopped and also stopped recommending them.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:21 pm

All of the baits mentioned so far in this thread will work on any given day.

But, if you want a sure fire bait, there is one bait which will beat everything else by a country mile.

CRABS.

Open up any gummy you've ever caught and you will always find crabs in their stomach. They scoff them like most of us will scoff a packet of M&M's.

:water:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Brett wrote:
hornet wrote:How come no ones suggested the big Safeway raw prawns ? cheap and they always come up as gummy baits when asked about..

Because there was a caution put out by fisheries, due the white spot outbreak up north.
It was recommended that you don't use them, so a lot of ppl have stopped and also stopped recommending them.
I seem to remember that now, as Whiskers says in the last post crabs namely sand crab would be in favor to prawn then, may take quite a bit of bait mate elastic thread to bind them on though ? casting would be cut short by a long shot.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Whiskers

Post by Whiskers » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:04 pm

"I seem to remember that now, as Whiskers says in the last post crabs namely sand crab would be in favor to prawn then, may take quite a bit of bait mate elastic thread to bind them on though ? casting would be cut short by a long shot."

Not hard to cast at all.

Use bait elastic to help secure the crab to the hook and fish them using a clip down rig. You'll have no problem casting them as far as you want.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Whiskers wrote:"I seem to remember that now, as Whiskers says in the last post crabs namely sand crab would be in favor to prawn then, may take quite a bit of bait mate elastic thread to bind them on though ? casting would be cut short by a long shot."

Not hard to cast at all.

Use bait elastic to help secure the crab to the hook and fish them using a clip down rig. You'll have no problem casting them as far as you want.
I have heard of this previously but didn't think much of it.. where would I get the sand crabs? Catch them myself with a crab pot or .. ? Cheers for the discussion :)

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:45 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Whiskers wrote:"I seem to remember that now, as Whiskers says in the last post crabs namely sand crab would be in favor to prawn then, may take quite a bit of bait mate elastic thread to bind them on though ? casting would be cut short by a long shot."

Not hard to cast at all.

I have heard of this previously but didn't think much of it.. where would I get the sand crabs? Catch them myself with a crab pot or .. ? Cheers for the discussion :)
I see them for sale all the time at the Victoria market.
Last edited by hornet on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 pm

carp

Whiskers

Post by Whiskers » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Sand crabs are fine but almost any sort of crab will do.

I usually try to catch the small green or brown shore crabs. Even the small soldier crabs are readily taken.

Trying to catch your crabs for bait can be as much fun as trying to catch a gummy.

Look for them at low tide, specially in areas with small rock pools or clumps of weed. Bear in mind that there are regulations in place prohibiting the taking of crabs from the inter tidal zones of Port Phillip Bay.

If you're uncertain of how to use them go to Google and look up Smooth Hound fishing. Loads of information and videos. Most of the info is British but the English Smooth Hound is essentially the same fish as our Gummy Shark.

You'll never be happier to catch crabs!
:rofl:

laneends

Post by laneends » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Squid ring or rolled wings with half a pillie in the middle. Hook pinning the lot together. pillie gives off more of a attractant then squid alone. hardiness of squid means you are not watching an empty hook as much, and squid helps pille stay on better

Return to “Shark Fishing”