To Burley Or Not To Burley

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
MsShimano

To Burley Or Not To Burley

Post by MsShimano » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:22 am

I would like to get out and target some gummies in the next few weeks. I have been getting different advice from fellow anglers and appreciate that people have different ways of doing things.
What do you do? Do you burley? What bait do you use? How do you put the bait on (chunks? Fillet? Head?) What rig do you use? Running sinker? Patenoster? Do you keep your bait 1m off the seabed?

Any advice/info would be appreciated! :)
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: To Burley Or Not To Burley

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:33 am

No.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:49 am

rb85 wrote:No.
Why do you even bother commenting then?
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:12 am

In ppb I tend not to.burly, genreally usechunk baits,salmon,trev, couta...
Paternosta ,with it off the bottom about few feet..
If on bottom to many banjos.....

Have caught a,few on whole pilly....

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 am

MsShimano wrote:I would like to get out and target some gummies in the next few weeks. I have been getting different advice from fellow anglers and appreciate that people have different ways of doing things.
What do you do? Do you burley? What bait do you use? How do you put the bait on (chunks? Fillet? Head?) What rig do you use? Running sinker? Patenoster? Do you keep your bait 1m off the seabed?

I do burley, ok it attracts unwanted species such as banjo's, rays ect ... but IMO it does increase the chance of a gummy, the scent in the water is at least there for the gummy to zone in on, gummies are a member of the ray family and possibly banjo's ? so if they home in on the scent the gummies should also, It's no big deal releasing a few unwanted fish if the burley increases your chance of landing one, Helps kill the time waiting for the right fish... The two rigs I use is a running sinker rig and a paternoster rig, I've caught them on both rigs, The bottom structure determines which rig I use on the night, yes I only fish for them at night.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 am

Fishing western port no point burleying for bottom fish due to current but i use to just put a block of pilchards, fish guts and bread in the burley bucket to attract but could chop up pilchards or any chuncks of rubbish works.

People on my boat mainly catch then on paganoster rigs while bottom bashing. On small.bits of pilchards or strips of slimies or squid.
Strips of squid or squid heads get hit more by other sharks aswell as rays.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:32 am

smile0784 wrote:Fishing western port no point burleying for bottom fish due to current but i use to just put a block of pilchards, fish guts and bread in the burley bucket to attract but could chop up pilchards or any chuncks of rubbish works.

People on my boat mainly catch then on paganoster rigs while bottom bashing. On small.bits of pilchards or strips of slimies or squid.
Really? I tried squid heads and have never been lucky enough to catch one. I caught a 6kg gummy on a nsmall fillet of Slimey, while my other rod had a fresh squid head on it.. Not even 1 hit on that rod (not even a banjo etc) not sure if it was presented the wrong way or what.. it didnt swing in the water.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:33 am

hornet wrote:
MsShimano wrote:I would like to get out and target some gummies in the next few weeks. I have been getting different advice from fellow anglers and appreciate that people have different ways of doing things.

I do burley, ok it attracts unwanted species such as banjo's, rays ect ... but IMO it does increase the chance of a gummy, the scent in the water is at least there for the gummy to zone in on, gummies are a member of the ray family and possibly banjo's ? so if they home in on the scent the gummies should also, It's no big deal releasing a few unwanted fish if the burley increases your chance of landing one, Helps kill the time waiting for the right fish... The two rigs I use is a running sinker rig and a paternoster rig, I've caught them on both rigs, The bottom structure determines which rig I use on the night, yes I only fish for them at night.

I do basically what you have described here. I have always burley and attracted lots of unwanted fish but its the fun of it for me! Why do you use only fish for them at night?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 am

MsShimano wrote:
hornet wrote:

I do basically what you have described here. I have always burley and attracted lots of unwanted fish but its the fun of it for me! Why do you use only fish for them at night?
I've had more captures at night than daylight hours, so for me calculating Hours per fish night time is better, others may have different results but I stick with what works for me.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 am

MsShimano wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Fishing western port no point burleying for bottom fish due to current but i use to just put a block of pilchards, fish guts and bread in the burley bucket to attract but could chop up pilchards or any chuncks of rubbish works.

Really? I tried squid heads and have never been lucky enough to catch one. I caught a 6kg gummy on a nsmall fillet of Slimey, while my other rod had a fresh squid head on it.. Not even 1 hit on that rod (not even a banjo etc) not sure if it was presented the wrong way or what.. it didnt swing in the water.
I put out same set up as my mate does and he always getts them over me.
Its frustrating.

Crabs also work too

Return to “Shark Fishing”