To Burley Or Not To Burley

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: To Burley Or Not To Burley

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:39 pm

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Not you steve. Ben lol
yes i know its not me caue ive never fished gummies with you, was just pulling your legs. aka pattern emerging (getting your a$$ handed to you by mates hahaha)

in regards to burley i would personally only do it if i havent got any bites in a while, at thats stage any bycatch is most likely a good thing for me anyway :rofl:
Comps on then
Ill show you how to fish lol :super:

looser pays for petrol lol
yep your on, lures only though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: anyone can catch fish on bait
You fish your way. Ill fish my way lol
hahaha ok, ok

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:53 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
rb85 wrote:Learn about the species.
Asking questions isn't a feasible/appropriate way to learn?
That's not what I was implying yepi.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:04 pm

MsShimano wrote:
You keep suggesting to "learn about the species" I have learn't about gummy sharks, attended talks, watched pros etc.. but as you are well aware, there is more then one way to skin a cat.
I am merely asking for advice and seeing ways on how other people fish for this species. I dont understand how your comment is meant too help?
It actually wasn't said with the intention of being derogatory. Rather learn how the species behaves what sensory organs does the species use to feed, areas they travel, ideal feeding times and prey etc. Learning the habits of your targeted species is a good base to start fishing successfully for that species.

Being spoon fed is not the best way to improve your skills as a angler. So my advice although simple is valid.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I have tried for gummys on so many occasions with out success following all the rules and tips people have said and sometimes it just comes down to luck.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:19 pm

rb85 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
You keep suggesting to "learn about the species" I have learn't about gummy sharks, attended talks, watched pros etc.. but as you are well aware, there is more then one way to skin a cat.
I am merely asking for advice and seeing ways on how other people fish for this species. I dont understand how your comment is meant too help?
It actually wasn't said with the intention of being derogatory. Rather learn how the species behaves what sensory organs does the species use to feed, areas they travel, ideal feeding times and prey etc. Learning the habits of your targeted species is a good base to start fishing successfully for that species.

Being spoon fed is not the best way to improve your skills as a angler. So my advice although simple is valid.
I have caught many gummy sharks before. I am NOT a newbie for this species, or any salt water species. Fresh water is another story.
I was just asking for general advice.. How is that asking to be spoon fed?
Correct me if im wrong but everyone here who asks for advice and help, gives you an impression that they dont know much about what they are chasing?
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm

MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

I have caught many gummy sharks before. I am NOT a newbie for this species, or any salt water species. Fresh water is another story.
I was just asking for general advice.. How is that asking to be spoon fed?
Correct me if im wrong but everyone here who asks for advice and help, gives you an impression that they dont know much about what they are chasing?
Bait,burley, rigs, application of bait etc it's all pretty easy info to find out. Asking for advice sometimes does depending on the question or multiple questions create the impression that the asker has little to no idea.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 pm

fishing is fun its great when you find like minded people to share their knowledge say like fishing victoria forum

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm

smile0784 wrote:I have tried for gummys on so many occasions with out success following all the rules and tips people have said and sometimes it just comes down to luck.
Mmm disagree ,growing up fishing wp with me dad ,he had spots that would more often then not produce the grey subs.....

Just like certain parts of wp we would get elephant after elphant fish .

Like most fishing,its time spent n getting to know the area s they r most likely to be in..

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 pm

i always burley in the bay with small chunks of whatever bait im using which is usually fresh salmon fillets. Every single gummy ive kept has burley in it once ive filleted it which for me shows Burley works well, would not bother in WP though. Whether you use it or not is up to you but the best advice i can give is fresh baits will outfish old baits 10 fold when it comes to gummy fishing.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Minimal berley. I.e. offcuts like frames/heads/half chewed up baits only so it minimises the amount of rubbish. Spread your baits so only 1 type of bait per rod. So spread of 4 will be something like eel/yakka or any other fish/pilchard/squid. Strips/fillets, chunks, heads, butterflied or rings doesn't matter as much as hooking the bait up to stop it spinning in the tide. Pick a spot, don't move. Back your instincts that 1 will swim through the area. It's about positioning yourself in a path they will take to their destination, they'll sniff out your baits from a fair distance. They're behavior is somewhat predictable in correlation to the moon phases. Don't know why whether it's to pup or what, but I'll fish 1 end of Westernport on a full moon, the other end of middle as it wanes/waxes into/out of a full moon and during a new moon

Return to “Shark Fishing”