land based shark fishing

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
dezza68

Re: land based shark fishing

Post by dezza68 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 pm

I don't think it's even possible to put 100lb of drag on through a rod. Try picking up a 20kg weight off the floor like that.
Like Carl said the rod would go first.
Cast, catch and put it back

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 7:12 pm

dezza68 wrote:I don't think it's even possible to put 100lb of drag on through a rod. Try picking up a 20kg weight off the floor like that.
It depends if your rod is custom made or mass produced and it also depends on how you angle your rod.

watch this gut using 100lb+ drag and fail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpefY9JOH4
I got my rod from a garage sale in Sydney when I was up there and its one of the strongest rod iv ever used.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon May 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Hailttz wrote:
dezza68 wrote:I don't think it's even possible to put 100lb of drag on through a rod. Try picking up a 20kg weight off the floor like that.
It depends if your rod is custom made or mass produced and it also depends on how you angle your rod.

watch this gut using 100lb+ drag and fail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGpefY9JOH4
I got my rod from a garage sale in Sydney when I was up there and its one of the strongest rod iv ever used.
So where on there does it mention 100lb of drag.?
Seriously mate,if you can stand there and slug it out with 20kg of drag you'll be doing well..I honestly think if you try and take on a shark with 50k of drag, you'll be waterskiing. I'm not being antagonistic here, just trying to point out basic physics..

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Maybe try pulling and holding 50kg on a standing cable machine at the gym before you get yourself in a situation where you're attached to something big, angry and toothy while standing on an uneven surface. It's one thing to hold 50kg, but doing it for a length of time with the sort of leverage you'll have to contend with from using a rod sounds like an entirely different kettle of fish.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
A scaled up rope gaff will lift large sharks but the limiting factor is how many dudes you have on the end of the rope lifting !
Have you tried an eagle Ray before mate?
Eagle rays are my favorite, I think the flesh is closer to tasting like flake than the black back rays are.( as I like to call them )
I'm not sure what their official name is, the most prolific spot for them is off the end of the Queencliff pier on an incoming tide I've found.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 30, 2016 8:17 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
A scaled up rope gaff will lift large sharks but the limiting factor is how many dudes you have on the end of the rope lifting !
Have you tried an eagle Ray before mate?
Eagle rays are my favorite, I think the flesh is closer to tasting like flake than the black back rays are.( as I like to call them )
I'm not sure what their official name is, the most prolific spot for them is off the end of the Queencliff pier on an incoming tide I've found.
It was years ago I tried one but from memory it wasn't the best. How did you cook it mate? Just batter it like you would with flake?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon May 30, 2016 8:27 pm

You're better off with a km of 15kg braid and then a topshot.

Running 100lb of drag land based is ridiculous, the short answer is you can't do it. It's unrealistic to fish with more than about 8-10kg (so 20-25lb or so) for more than a very short period of time.

If you try this and somehow do manage to hook up, you're either going to break your rod, lose your rod, or get towed out to sea.

Have a look at some of the setups guys from the 90 mile FB page are using and use those as guidelines towards what you want to achieve.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 pm

DougieK wrote:You're better off with a km of 15kg braid and then a topshot.

Running 100lb of drag land based is ridiculous, the short answer is you can't do it. It's unrealistic to fish with more than about 8-10kg (so 20-25lb or so) for more than a very short period of time.

If you try this and somehow do manage to hook up, you're either going to break your rod, lose your rod, or get towed out to sea.

Have a look at some of the setups guys from the 90 mile FB page are using and use those as guidelines towards what you want to achieve.

Sensible talk isn't allowed :a_goodjob:

I mean if it was, you would consider a 25kg 8ft rod, penn 50w, 25kg mono(900m), 3m 200lb wind on and 4.5m of 200kg of wire trace. Oh look that's exactly my setup :rofl:

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon May 30, 2016 8:54 pm

How much drag you running Brett?

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I've had my 9'6 saltist up to 8kg of drag for 45 seconds.. I've also deadlifted half my bodyweight for reps. Would put them on about the same level of "f my life"

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Shark Fishing”