land based shark fishing

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Hailttz

Re: land based shark fishing

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 9:37 pm

GTSHoon wrote:No way man, join the facebook page "surf and offshore fishing 90 mile beach" theres some crazy sharks (bronzies and the like) caught on there, majority run an 80w with 24kg mono or braid with a 200lb or so windon for the last part.
No need for that heavy thats for sure
Cam
i have sent a request like a month ago but was never accepted for some reason.

Busted

Post by Busted » Mon May 30, 2016 9:56 pm

Seriously, stick to a 50 size reel and 50lb mono or braid backing with a 50lb mono top shot and you'll land any Shark that swims around here. They aren't that hard to land. Something like a TLD50 is a good reel if you're on a budget or a Penn International 50W or Tiagra of course if you have a bit more to spend. 150lb line on your reel is just silly

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Hailttz wrote:
4liters wrote:Maybe try pulling and holding 50kg on a standing cable machine at the gym before you get yourself in a situation where you're attached to something big, angry and toothy while standing on an uneven surface. It's one thing to hold 50kg, but doing it for a length of time with the sort of leverage you'll have to contend with from using a rod sounds like an entirely different kettle of fish.
as i said in the topic,I'm just asking if i should go with the 550m of 150lb braid (witch could sustain 100 lb of drag pressure when im at half spool) that i allready have on my reel or should i switch it off for 1000m of 80lb line. DID NOT want to cause an argument.
You're not causing an argument, you've just got a bunch of people fairly experienced at land based game fishing (this is not me btw) telling you the idea you suggested is counterproductive at best, and downright dangerous at worst. They aren't trying to be dicks or make you feel stupid or anything like that, they're trying to give you the best shot at landing a big shark.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Busted

Post by Busted » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 pm

To give you an idea, this Bronze Whaler took about 50 minutes on 50lb line with about 8-10kg of drag and it took no more than 500m of line.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 10:41 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:I've hauled up some descent size sting rays with a rope gaff, and yes I do eat them... to me they taste like flake but lets not start up that debate...
A scaled up rope gaff will lift large sharks but the limiting factor is how many dudes you have on the end of the rope lifting !
Have you tried an eagle Ray before mate?
Eagle rays are my favorite, I think the flesh is closer to tasting like flake than the black back rays are.( as I like to call them )
I'm not sure what their official name is, the most prolific spot for them is off the end of the Queencliff pier on an incoming tide I've found.
It was years ago I tried one but from memory it wasn't the best. How did you cook it mate? Just batter it like you would with flake?
Yep I just cook like flake lightning and lightly flour and fry ... to the OP => sorry for side tracking your post..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Busted wrote:To give you an idea, this Bronze Whaler took about 50 minutes on 50lb line with about 8-10kg of drag and it took no more than 500m of line.

thanks lots, I already have a Trynos 50 two speed, but its fitted with 150 because of what I was using it for at the time.
Right now, I'm going to save up for a spool of 50lb braid, was asking if the 550m of what i already have would do so i could save some money.

One question, (if you don't mind) please tell me where you got that!

DR.SPESH

Post by DR.SPESH » Tue May 31, 2016 7:11 am

Hailttz wrote:
Busted wrote:To give you an idea, this Bronze Whaler took about 50 minutes on 50lb line with about 8-10kg of drag and it took no more than 500m of line.

thanks lots, I already have a Trynos 50 two speed, but its fitted with 150 because of what I was using it for at the time.
Right now, I'm going to save up for a spool of 50lb braid, was asking if the 550m of what i already have would do so i could save some money.

From memory he got it at Albert Park Lake? The Budhist people released it in there.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 am

DR.SPESH wrote:
Hailttz wrote:

From memory he got it at Albert Park Lake? The Budhist people released it in there.
LOL :rofl:

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 am

how strong are you? You must have be pretty beef'd up if you're willing to go that weight tow with a shark you're after...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 am

*bump*

Just wondering if a 40 size reel would be too small for ballooning out baits for sharks. Specifically I'm looking at a marquesa MA40 which can take 700m of 65lb line - presumably I'll be able to fit a fair bit more 40 or 50lb line on it than that.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Shark Fishing”