land based shark fishing

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
Hailttz

land based shark fishing

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 am

Hi I'm Li, this is my first post in this forum. Hopefully I would get some advice and I will report back if I have any luck. :cheers:

I was fishing on Lorne pier a couple weeks ago, managed to land a 30 kg 7-gill and a 13kg gummy on slimy mackerel.
going out for shark fishing this time on the beach, paddling out the bait with kayak just wondering what would be a good setup
I could spool my reel up with 550m of 150lb test so i could up to 100lb of drag, i think that would wear out the shark out faster than 1000m-80lb test(50lb drag), becaude if i think about it... I could run 1000m with a 5 kg bag fine, but only 200m with a 20kg bag and I would be half dead.
Please tell me if it makes sense.
Really hope i will catch a 9ft+

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: land based shark fishing

Post by CarlG » Mon May 30, 2016 11:28 am

What sort of reel would give you 100lb of drag mate..?
And could you hold on for long if your reel could manage..?

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 11:50 am

With pretty much any 50w+ you could get as much as 100 lb of drag if you are at half spool, my reel have 550m of 150lb braid and if I paddle the bait out 200 it souuld get me around 100 lb of drag on full drag. The drag will get harder when there is less line on spool.

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 11:58 am

CarlG wrote:What sort of reel would give you 100lb of drag mate..?
I couldn't hold on for long, thats why i use soo much drag to get the fish in as fast as possible. That would also be better for the fish if i plane o releasing it.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 30, 2016 12:43 pm

Running that much drag, you'll snap the rod, pull the hooks or be dragged out to sea. May as well, paddle the line out and hook it on the winch of a 4x4 and just drag the fish in. Not really fishing, but anyway

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Just stay out there in the kayak with a big drift chute out and let it tow you around until it's tired.

Seriously though, in the videos of land based shark fishing I've seen they seem to use a huge reel with a couple of km of line on it. Maybe the that's the approach to take.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 1:06 pm

4liters wrote:Just stay out there in the kayak with a big drift chute out and let it tow you around until it's tired.

Seriously though, in the videos of land based shark fishing I've seen they seem to use a huge reel with a couple of km of line on it. Maybe the that's the approach to take.
I dont want to tire the shark out much so it have a better chance if i release it.

Hailttz

Post by Hailttz » Mon May 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Brett wrote:Running that much drag, you'll snap the rod, pull the hooks or be dragged out to sea. May as well, paddle the line out and hook it on the winch of a 4x4 and just drag the fish in. Not really fishing, but anyway
Sadly i dont have a car, im still in school. :oops: :(

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon May 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Hailttz wrote:
CarlG wrote:What sort of reel would give you 100lb of drag mate..?
I couldn't hold on for long, thats why i use soo much drag to get the fish in as fast as possible. That would also be better for the fish if i plane o releasing it.
From what I can make out your saying you may not be able to endure a long fight, if this is the case have you thought of making a landbased game chair to take some pressure off you ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon May 30, 2016 2:35 pm

Hailttz wrote:Hi I'm Li, this is my first post in this forum. Hopefully I would get some advice and I will report back if I have any luck. :cheers:

I was fishing on Lorne pier a couple weeks ago, managed to land a 30 kg 7-gill and a 13kg gummy on slimy mackerel.
going out for shark fishing this time on the beach, paddling out the bait with kayak just wondering what would be a good setup
I could spool my reel up with 550m of 150lb test so i could up to 100lb of drag, i think that would wear out the shark out faster than 1000m-80lb test(50lb drag), becaude if i think about it... I could run 1000m with a 5 kg bag fine, but only 200m with a 20kg bag and I would be half dead.
Please tell me if it makes sense.
Really hope i will catch a 9ft+
How did you manage to get those big fish onto the pier? It's a long way up there

Return to “Shark Fishing”